Hi.. funny phone call from PIP after mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi.. funny phone call from PIP after mandatory reconsideration

ibzy162
ibzy162 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi, basically in January of this year I made a claim for pip, I had my assessment in July and literally couple of weeks later had letter through the post got 0 points for everything. It’s full of lies and not anything I had said and just judgements made by the person who took my call. I done the mandatory reconsideration in august a 4 page detailed letter explaining everything to the best of my ability. Long story short I received a phone call from the dwp last week about 5 days ago now. And got asked if I had been in jail, if I had been abroad and if I wanted all arrears to be paid in full in bits if I can manage my finances or not. Then she asked to speak to my sister who is my carer so she rang her and just asked her what meds I was taking and what support I was getting and that’s it. Just told her wait 5 days for decision. 
Just doesn’t make no sense to me at all because if she was going to award wouldn’t she just say I will be awarding you but just looking into more of your info. It don’t make no sense to me at all. Has anyone else had a similar phone call? Did you get awarded after? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    ibzy162 said:..Just told her wait 5 days for decision. 
    Just doesn’t make no sense to me at all because if she was going to award wouldn’t she just say I will be awarding you but just looking into more of your info. It don’t make no sense to me at all. Has anyone else had a similar phone call? Did you get awarded after? 
    Makes complete sense. She is looking at your case. She has gathered a bit more information from you and your sister to assist the decision making and will now review all the information and make a decision. The questions about time in jail or abroad etc are so that, if a decision to award is made, they don’t have to ring you again before making the payment. Such calls are common, as many threads on the forum indicate.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ibzy162
    Thanks for the reply. 
    Oh okay.. I was just thinking why ask these questions at the start of looking at my claim again if there is a chance you will not change the decision.. 
    wouldn’t you want to look at the claim first and get a rough idea as to where it will be going and then asking these questions because then it will make sense to ask these types of questions because the decision is more likely to change. 
    Anyways I totally agree with what your saying especially because it’s been such a long time so even the call makes sense just to say look we’re looking into your case again. But also Iv seen on these forums that not everyone gets these phone calls, they just receive a letter through the post with the decision of the MR.. 
    that’s why it was just getting me thinking. 

• calcotti
    Some people get calls, some do not.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ibzy162
    Only thing that baffles me is why ask about my bank details and ask if I wanted arrears paid in full or in bits if in the end I won’t be awarded.. doesn’t make sense to ask such questions first if there’s a chance I won’t be awarded.. 
  • calcotti
    ibzy162 said:
    Only thing that baffles me is why ask about my bank details and ask if I wanted arrears paid in full or in bits if in the end I won’t be awarded.. doesn’t make sense to ask such questions first if there’s a chance I won’t be awarded.. 
    it saves another phone call.
  • ibzy162
    Understandable. But it would be still be 1 phone call if they rang after and got an idea that yeah this person will be awarded then ask these questions. It seems like a waste of time and waste of a call to ask these questions if still you won’t be awarded. That’s why I thought why everyone does not get this call. Everyone should be getting this call then. 

Hmm anyways I think I should find out more likely sometime during next week. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I think your reading too much into it. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    They do call people for bank details especially if it has been a while since the claim started 

As above think you are reading too much into it your not the only person it has happened to 
  • ibzy162
    Maybe I am looking too much into it but just wanted more of an understanding of the chances being awarded when you get this call and get asked these questions 

Username_removed what your saying sounds right but not everyone receives the phone call is why it don’t make sense. Do they call to update the system, maybe yes.. do they call so they ask these questions as it’s procedure.. yes.. but why not everyone get these calls.. is it more likely or less that you would be awarded when asked questions about bank and arrears …etc.. because why ask if In the end you won’t be awarded wouldn’t that be a waste of a call.. wouldn’t you call if it’s more likely the decision would be changed.. anyways hopefully find out soon on my side
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    It has been known here on the community for members to be asked the question about bank details and then not be awarded at MR stage.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    That's lovely news @ibzy162 I'm very pleased to hear it! I'm sure your experience will be so useful to read for anyone going through similar.

Hope you plan to relax this evening, and take care :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ibzy162
    Yeah thank you soo much anyways for the support and replies.. I was just thinking that more likely I would be awarded as the person who phoned asked certain questions so I think if you get a similar phone call your more likely to be awarded even if they don’t tell you over the phone. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Yeah I got a similar phone call asking if it was safe to put cash in my account, that was the only thing she rang to ask me. I also got awarded. The DM confirmed these calls are only usually made if they are making an award especially if they mention installments. 
  • nav
    nav Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Sorry to restart an old thread. I’m new to this site and have been reading everyone’s posts and replies regarding PIP for the past few months. 

I received the same call last week with the exact same questions, nothing about instalments though. I started doubting whether I would get it but out of the blue at midnight last night I received 11 months back dated payment for standard daily living. Better than nothing, but I’m definitely appealing it. I don’t know what I’ve got for mobility as the letter hasn’t even arrived yet. 

For the mandatory reconsideration letter, I used a template from the advicenow website, which has proven to be very successful. If anyone wants to do the same, search Google for ‘PIP Mandatory Reconsideration Request Letter Tool.’ I didn’t state anything about the lies but just focused on what I’m unable to do. 

I posted my Autism certificate a week after posting the Mandatory Reconsideration letter, both with Royal Mail next day delivery signature required. 

Can’t believe how quick 1 year flew by, I hope the next appeal is dealt with sooner. 
  • Liberty99
    Liberty99 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi , I have been awarded standard living . I’m new to all this , if anything I found that I needed a lot of patients ,it all worked out fine . I had a call today to ask if I had any hospital or prison stays and my bank details . I have received the results of my tribuneral hearing but nothing from pip . Although it may all seem very difficult for some people , just keep on going forward with a mr or a appeal . I have suffered from mental health since the age of 16 , 41 years !! It was all very hard to claim pip and also many memories that was put in the back of my mind came forward with horrible percussions , having the final result was very liberating , for once , someone was listening , and thought my illnesses were significant , as my initial claim and phone assessment was just ignored . As well as osteoarthritis in many joints and a history of anxiety and depression I feel I should have got more points , but hey ! Anything will help right now , and I am grateful for anything really . Just need to say that telephone assessments are a joke , I had a very broad Irish lady on my assessment , I didn’t quite understand her and asked her to repeat several times , the lies that were told by dwp on this assessment was nothing but a joke ! On my appeal I asked the courts to listen to the telephone assessment , and I feel sure they drew in their own conclusions . So , don’t give up , keep going and fight for what your entitled too x
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    If a DM calls asking if you can handle a lump sum, it's usually because your claim is successful, it's now part of the PIP guidelines that they have to contact people being awarded a large backpay especially if there is a vulnerability marker on file. 

Life is better in a fishtank  🐟

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.