Another assessment.. another lie. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Another assessment.. another lie.

amy1188
amy1188 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had a telephone assessment last week and have received a copy of the report. A few things to note.. 

It states I do not take antidepressants. Despite providing evidence I take the highest dose of my specific antidepressant. 

It states I am entitled to points because I need support when washing the lower half of my body due to impairments but turn the page and I have no apparent lower body impairment and therefore require no support when dressing. 

Then to top it all off, I have lung damage following covid in March 2020. I am currently waiting for an appointment at the long covid clinic but undergoing multiple tests whilst waiting for the appointment. Because I have not actually had an appointment yet this apparently means I have not required any intervention. It is not my fault waiting lists are so long surely!! 

The assessor has continually said that my mental health has not deteriorated since the previous assessment, I was not taking medication then nor was I receiving counselling. 

The previous assessment has been used as a reasoning behind all decisions to ignore the evidence I have provided despite a tribunal disagreeing with the previous assessment. 

I am really at the end of my tether with this all. I told her I was suicidal and have previously made attempts and this is how they treat people! My last attempt was two weekends ago and so I am still struggling, how can they expect people to cope with this. 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amy1188 - I'm sorry the assessor's report is not as you'd hoped. As you know, you will have to wait for your decision letter, & the decision maker will take not only this report into account, but also your PIP2 form & any accompanying evidence you sent.
    All this waiting is of course difficult, & sometimes getting a report from your assessor doesn't always help. Just remember, it's only a part of your claim. If your PIP2 form has been well completed, with those important couple of detailed examples of the difficulties you face for applicable descriptors, then this is going to help.
    I'm sorry how badly all this is affecting you, & wonder if you are getting any support for your mental health right now?
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    amy1188 said:
    I had a telephone assessment last week and have received a copy of the report. A few things to note.. 

It states I do not take antidepressants. Despite providing evidence I take the highest dose of my specific antidepressant. 

It states I am entitled to points because I need support when washing the lower half of my body due to impairments but turn the page and I have no apparent lower body impairment and therefore require no support when dressing. 

Then to top it all off, I have lung damage following covid in March 2020. I am currently waiting for an appointment at the long covid clinic but undergoing multiple tests whilst waiting for the appointment. Because I have not actually had an appointment yet this apparently means I have not required any intervention. It is not my fault waiting lists are so long surely!! 

The assessor has continually said that my mental health has not deteriorated since the previous assessment, I was not taking medication then nor was I receiving counselling. 

The previous assessment has been used as a reasoning behind all decisions to ignore the evidence I have provided despite a tribunal disagreeing with the previous assessment. 

I am really at the end of my tether with this all. I told her I was suicidal and have previously made attempts and this is how they treat people! My last attempt was two weekends ago and so I am still struggling, how can they expect people to cope with this. 
    Hi @amy1188,

I'm really sorry to hear about your assessment experience, I can imagine that was difficult to cope with and I really hope you've had some time to process the scenario. 

I just wanted to ask if you currently feel supported with regards to your mental health? Do you have anyone that you trust, that you can speak to? It might be worthwhile getting in touch with your GP to talk about your current situation and they could potentially advise further. 

How are you currently feeling? Thank you for being so honest about your previous experiences and feeling suicidal. Please call 999 if you ever feel suicidal or feel as though you want to act on those specific feelings. I would also like to signpost you to a few resources, that I think could be really helpful for you right now. These include:

We will also be sending you an email shortly via our online community account, so please keep a look out for this. The email will be from community@scope.org.uk. 

Please be reassured that you are supported here at Scope, and we are here for you. 

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • amy1188
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @amy1188 - I'm sorry the assessor's report is not as you'd hoped. As you know, you will have to wait for your decision letter, & the decision maker will take not only this report into account, but also your PIP2 form & any accompanying evidence you sent.
    All this waiting is of course difficult, & sometimes getting a report from your assessor doesn't always help. Just remember, it's only a part of your claim. If your PIP2 form has been well completed, with those important couple of detailed examples of the difficulties you face for applicable descriptors, then this is going to help.
    I'm sorry how badly all this is affecting you, & wonder if you are getting any support for your mental health right now?
    I spoke with a case manager who was fantastic and very reassuring thankfully. I gave her an example of the inaccuracies such as they say I need support washing my feet but I can dress them on my own. She agreed that this is completely unrealistic and assured me this would be looked in to. I also mentioned that the timescales around my medication were incorrectly as I couldn’t have been newly prescribed something three months whilst also having the same medication reviewed and increased three months ago. It isn’t even really that I am disagreeing it is more just pure facts that are incorrect. 

I do have support through my GP and counsellor thankfully. This is another thing which really hurt because she said my mental health does not affect my daily living when in reality it is a massive part of my daily living. 

Thank you for replying and caring! 
  • amy1188
    amy1188 said:

Hi @amy1188,

I'm really sorry to hear about your assessment experience, I can imagine that was difficult to cope with and I really hope you've had some time to process the scenario. 

I just wanted to ask if you currently feel supported with regards to your mental health? Do you have anyone that you trust, that you can speak to? It might be worthwhile getting in touch with your GP to talk about your current situation and they could potentially advise further. 

How are you currently feeling? Thank you for being so honest about your previous experiences and feeling suicidal. Please call 999 if you ever feel suicidal or feel as though you want to act on those specific feelings. I would also like to signpost you to a few resources, that I think could be really helpful for you right now. These include:

We will also be sending you an email shortly via our online community account, so please keep a look out for this. The email will be from community@scope.org.uk. 

Please be reassured that you are supported here at Scope, and we are here for you. 

Libby

Thank you! I am sorry to have shared it so bluntly but it really hurt me that someone can just disregard someone’s mental health like that. I spoke with a case manager who was really lovely and very reassuring. She agreed that the report just didn’t make sense. 
    I do have support from my GP and family but I will definitely have a look at the places you have advised as new advise and support is always welcomed. 
    Thank you I will look out for the email. 

Thank you again :)  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome @amy1188 - & it's good you could speak to such a considerate case manager. :)
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    amy1188 said:
    amy1188 said:

Hi @amy1188,

Libby

Thank you! I am sorry to have shared it so bluntly but it really hurt me that someone can just disregard someone’s mental health like that. I spoke with a case manager who was really lovely and very reassuring. She agreed that the report just didn’t make sense. 
    I do have support from my GP and family but I will definitely have a look at the places you have advised as new advise and support is always welcomed. 
    Thank you I will look out for the email. 

Thank you again :)  
    @amy1188, please don't be sorry for anything, I think it's really helpful to speak openly about mental health and how you're feeling and we would always encourage that at Scope. 

I'm really glad that the case manager was supportive and offered some reassurance for you. That's great that you're willing to look at the above resources. I think they will be really helpful, and you might learn something new about your own mental health and others :). Make sure you keep in touch and speak to your family and GP if you need some support. 

Speak to you soon.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @amy1188, just checking in, how have you been getting on with everything?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.