Accessible gardening tips — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessible gardening tips

Kit_
Kit_ Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hey everyone! Are there any gardeners on here who can share some tips? I love gardening and growing fruit and veggies, I've always had joint pain and fatigue but a shoulder injury has been making it hard to get out in the garden lately. I'd love to be able to spend more time in the garden without causing myself any extra pain.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ya @Kit_ I used to grow veg and fruit I decided last year I wouldn't any more as it's the up keep of it all, still got rhubarb in garden but next door agreed to have it off me. 
    It is nice growing things, I had rasberrys and strawberrys, mint, I've grown cauliflower, onions, herbs, chillies etc. I've not got a big garden.
    I'm only going to do flowers this year as I find it hard to look after now. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Anabel - I became a 'gardener' out of necessity, & am lucky to have had the benefit of experience from my next door neighbours. Also fortunate that my small garden came with 4 raised beds, to which I added a 5th; one is for herbs; one is just for flowers, & the others for veg, altho my cat has undermined my efforts in the past 2 years!
    Flowers & veg combine; buy bee-friendly plants to aid propagation, or others to ward off harmful insects from your veg.
    I also have lots of containers, with bay leaf outside my front door, various heathers, lavender, ferns, alpines & cacti. My one luxury was having a very small greenhouse added, which adjoins my garden shed. I grow tomatoes in my greenhouse, tho didn't get as many as usual this year, but start off seeds in there, both veg & flowers.
    I think it's important to grow what you like; despite my cat, I've found many varieties of beans easy, leeks, lettuce, nasturtiums (you can eat the slightly peppery leaves, & also the flowers), courgettes, beetroot, spring onions & garlic, for example.
    Low maintenance plants.....as well as lavender, I'm very fond of aubretia & collect seeds from the ripened brown pods each year to add to next years; buy one plant (or more) & you won't need buy any more ever again. Do look at other alpines, also perennials; crocosomia is another low maintenance plant I like as it adds height.
    This year I tried begonias for the first time, which lasted for months with so many flowers until frosts began. Again, wise words from an older gardener, who said you can save the tubers for next year, so hope they will survive.
    I can recommend one place I've been using for years for not only veg, but edible flowers: https://www.realseeds.co.uk/    they promote collecting seeds, & tell you how, so that after the initial reasonable buying price, you may not need to purchase from them again, unless you want to try something different! Also, if you're on a low income, you just need to declare this to get seeds at a low P&P price. Hope some of this helps, as gardening, in whatever shape it takes, gives us a reason to go outside, which can help enormously both physically & mentally.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Remember, hanging baskets are not just for flowers, they’re also useful for various herbs and strawberries. Two benefits, you can hang them at any height you require, secondly slugs and snails probably won’t climb into them, I’d say never but with slugs and snails never say never ?. 

(Window boxes are at a useful height too)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    We love gardening and are lucky that our garden is at waist height making it easier to maintain. But we grow flowers not fruit or veg, I did once try mint and it overtook the garden.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Plant mint in a bucket, that way it's roots can't spread.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Anabel :) I'm glad you've been able to connect with some fellow gardeners! Here are a few other threads you might be interested in:
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    @Anabel it's great that you enjoy gardening so much. I can't wait to have my own garden one day and hopefully grow lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. 

Can anyone recommend any low maintenance house plants? I'm moving apartments over the weekend and I would love to purchase some new plants for my flat :)
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Anabel said:
    Sansivieras and spider plants are brilliant,low maintenance and they remove toxins from the air and produce more oxygen.

Anabel
    Ah, that's really good to know! Thank you @Anabel :) I wanted a plant that also acted as an air purifier, so that's really useful information.
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello @Annabel

Have you heard of ceanothus ?

It is a shrub with blue flowers that can be easily pruned and low maintenance and attractive to butterflies.

I am looking for inspiration for a heavy clay soil garden that is prone to lying in water .

Think raised beds are the answer but they seem really expensive but I guess the best long term solution - either that or a lake 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.

Brightness