Severe nerve pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe nerve pain

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
I know we cant give medicalbadvice but was just wondering if anyone has any idea or recommendations to ease my pain 

I have below knee amputation  4 years ago I have always had a bit of nerve pain in my stump but nothing too bad just the odd twinge and I take pregablin for it 

However this week it has started to be really bad and doesn't stop without extra pain relief,  also my stump is freezing cold 

I will speak to my gp if i can ever get an appointment 

It's a very sharp pain makes my leg spasm and jerk and the pain makes me swear lol 

Any tips appreciated 

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @janer1967 :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some pain at the moment and hopefully our members can offer some advice about pain management strategies that work for them. I think it would be best to speak to your GP, just so you can gain professional medical advice for them in the first instance. They might be able to offer some insight :) 

Personally, I find I experience a lot more joint/pelvic pain (due to endometriosis) in the winter. The decrease in temperature always exacerbates my pain levels. Hot baths and hot water bottles help me immensely. I also try and relax my nervous system through meditation, as I know this is linked to sciatica pain that I also experience. 

I hope that helps somewhat and hopefully other members will share their experiences too.
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear you have nerve pain, its literally the worst pain possible in my opinion as I have had some nerve pain in the past and the only thing that eased it for me was oralmorph (Morphine) but that is an extreme option. I think the cold weather can make it worst and more severe so my suggest trying to make the area and keep the area warm and with heat. Maybe a hot bath/hot bathe or heat pack might make the pain less severe.

Sorry I'm not much help in this area I just can kinda relate when I had nerve pain and it was the worst so can understand the pain.

I hope you find a remedy that works for you and wish you all the best.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    I second Libby, hot water bottles work for me too. Sorry you are feeling under the weather, hope you feel better soon.
  • janer1967
    Thanks to those that have replied I've had a hot bath and pain has eased 

I just can't get my stump to get warm which maybe why im getting the pain

I've ordered some stump socks and hot water bottle 
  • Libby_Alumni
    I'm glad the hot bath helped somewhat @janer1967 :) I like to use magnesium salts in my bath too as that also helps my pain (and makes me sleepy)! Have you tried bath salts before?

That's great that you've ordered both a hot water bottle and stump socks. Hopefully they will both help. However, if the pain continues for a long period of time, I would advise you go to your GP, just so they can offer their recommendations too :)

Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • janer1967
    @Libby_Scope I have had bath salts before but not the type you mentioned I must admit I like bubbles in my bath 

I will definitely contact gp if it keeps on over the weekend 
  • euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    I hope you are in less pain today xx.  Cold, wet weather make my pain flair up every time and it's pretty horibble when that happens at the end of the week and you can't get to see your GP.  As suggested by others, keeping cosy and warm is the best defense I've found.

I don't have a bath and miss a hot soak surrounded by softly scented bubbles more than anything xxx.

Have you tried a heat cream?  My circulation is lousy and my Deep Heat Rub - I'm not on any commission :) - is about the only thing that helps my feet warm up in winter - that, or a fortnight in the Maldives B)
  • janer1967
    Thanks everyone will try some of the tips 

I have ordered one of those bean bag things you warm in microwave that fits round your leg 

I haven't had any pain most of yesterday and today so fingers crossed it stays that way 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't need me to tell you but definitely message gp. Hopefully the bean bag will fetch some comfort 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967 I'm sorry to hear about the pain you've been feeling this week, let us know how you get on with the bean bags, and with your GP, I'm sure they will both help.

Has the pain stayed away today as well?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Libby_Alumni
    janer1967 said:
    @Libby_Scope I have had bath salts before but not the type you mentioned I must admit I like bubbles in my bath 

I will definitely contact gp if it keeps on over the weekend 
    I understand about the bubbles, I also love any scented bubble bath - especially lavender! I actually use both bubble bath and salts. I just make sure I give the water a few swirls once I've put the salts in :)

How is the pain today? I hope it's eased for you! 
    Scope

• janer1967
    @Libby_Scope I've not had any pain since Friday amazes me how it was so intense then just went away without any intervention but I'm not complaining 

I was quite active over the weekend so maybe this had some positive impact 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967

I am really glad to hear your pain has been relieved and that you are currently feeling a little better  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967 I'm also glad to hear the pain has subsided for you, yes, perhaps there's something in being active that helped relieve it!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness