Mandatory Reconsideration. I have a call with the DWP tomorrow — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory Reconsideration. I have a call with the DWP tomorrow

Options
NicWil
NicWil Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, I'm new here. I wondered whether you may be able to help. I applied for Pip in April, I was awarded standard mobility and scored 4 points for daily living. I requested a mandatory reconsideration 10 weeks ago and the dwp are due to call me tomorrow morning to discuss. I'm terrified. I have extreme anxiety and severe complex ptsd. The assessor gave an opinion that I can't function when I leave my home but I can fully function at home.She ignored all the struggles I face even though I submitted evidence for this. I am worried about what this call involves. Feeling so anxious about it all. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    They maybe needing to ring to ask you further questions. We won't be able to tell you what they may ask. Try to answer the questions as best you can. They don't usually warn you in advance that they are ringing so i can only assume they've done this because of your mental health.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • NicWil
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    NicWil said:
    Hello, I'm new here. I wondered whether you may be able to help. I applied for Pip in April, I was awarded standard mobility and scored 4 points for daily living. I requested a mandatory reconsideration 10 weeks ago and the dwp are due to call me tomorrow morning to discuss. I'm terrified. I have extreme anxiety and severe complex ptsd. The assessor gave an opinion that I can't function when I leave my home but I can fully function at home.She ignored all the struggles I face even though I submitted evidence for this. I am worried about what this call involves. Feeling so anxious about it all. 
    Hi @NicWil

Welcome to the community and thank you for reaching out to us :)

I'm sorry to hear that your PIP application outcome was not what you had hoped for and I hope the phonecall with the DWP tomorrow goes well for you. As @poppy123456 commented, we don't know what they will explicitly ask you, however, please try and remember that they're not there to trip you up and just want to know how your disability impacts you on a day-to-day basis. Just try and answer the questions as best and honest as you can, and that's all you can do :) 

I also wanted to see if you're getting support from your GP at the moment with regards to your anxiety and PTSD? I understand why you might feel anxious about the phonecall, but try and remember that you can only do your best. Do you have any management techniques for your anxiety? I also experience anxiety and find that breathwork/meditation really help me, when trying to relax my nervous system :) 

If you have any further questions, then please just let us know :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • NicWil
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi Libby, 
    Thank you for responding. You are right, all I can do is answer the questions as best I can. I just don't deal well with uncertainty. Then I'm sure I'll have to wait even longer after this call to find out whether I've been successful or not. 

In regard to my mental health, yes I have been in regular contact with my GP, and I have therapy every week and that's been the case since April this year. I have to admit I really struggle with the deep breathing exercises. When my anxiety is extreme there isn't much that helps to be honest. That makes it so much harder. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    NicWil said:
    Hi Libby, 
    Thank you for responding. You are right, all I can do is answer the questions as best I can. I just don't deal well with uncertainty. Then I'm sure I'll have to wait even longer after this call to find out whether I've been successful or not. 

In regard to my mental health, yes I have been in regular contact with my GP, and I have therapy every week and that's been the case since April this year. I have to admit I really struggle with the deep breathing exercises. When my anxiety is extreme there isn't much that helps to be honest. That makes it so much harder. 
    Hi @NicWil,   

I'm sure whatever answers you provide, you know that they're honest and authentic. I understand that uncertainty brings a lot of fear. Again, I'm the same when things aren't necessarily in my control, I get anxious and worry a lot. Once you've completed the phone call tomorrow, I'm sure there will be a huge sense of relief and make sure you do something for you, because it's a big achievement given the situation. 

That's good, I'm glad to hear that you're in contact with your GP and they are supportive of you. Therapy can be excellent and it's great that you're proactive and attending sessions :). I understand, not everyone has the same management strategies and what works for one person, might not work for the other. Is there anything that you have tried that gives you some relief from the anxious thoughts?
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • NicWil
    Options
    Hi Libby, 

Thank you for your kind words. 
    All I've done is be honest during this whole process, however its not been listened to. It's a huge trigger for my ptsd to not be listened to. 

I've not found anything that helps with the anxiety. The only relief I'll get is once the call is over tomorrow. With such a low success rate at mandatory reconsideration Im not feeling very hopeful that it will be over. 
  • NicWil
    Options
    Hi all, 

I just wanted to post an update after my call today. I was told I was going to be awarded daily care, I just don't know at what rate until I get my decision notice next week. It's a huge relief to know I won't have to go all the way to tribunal. 

I wanted to thank you all for the helpful advice I have seen on this site over the recent months. 

X
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news thanks for sharing 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @NicWil that;s lovely news, thanks so much for letting us know :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.