What’s one thing you like about Christmas…. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What’s one thing you like about Christmas….

CoffeeFirst
CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
edited December 2021 in Coffee lounge
….and one thing you don’t like? ? ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I enjoy the time spent with family the most 

The least is shopping in crowded places 
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Yes i always like it when my son comes to visit over Christmas. Like you, I just can’t do crowds.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I still like to use my imagination and enjoy the magic of Christmas Eve. ?

one thing I don’t like is overeating...I have no self control ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Like - Christmas Day Top of the Pops 

Dislike - Disruption to routine for two weeks
  • Ookpik
    Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
    ….and one thing you don’t like? ? ? 
    l do have many views why l despise Christmas. , l dare not say, as this might upset many people's enjoyment of Christmas. . 
    Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail
  • Durhamjaide
    Durhamjaide Scope Member Posts: 428 Courageous
    Receiving gifts 
    spending money 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited December 2021
    I enjoy spending quality time with my family as I don't live near them at all. It's always really nice when we get together as a group :) 

I don't necessarily like that some individuals are unable to celebrate Christmas with loved ones for whatever reason. Travelling restrictions, lack of financial support, etc. 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I like being able to generally slow down, not worry about too much, and be allowed to eat and drink what I want.

I dislike the expectation to spend money that people can’t afford. I’m not an anti-consumerist and I am all for buying presents and having good food and drink, but I don’t think people should feel obliged to spend more than they can afford.
  • Ookpik
    Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
    What l love about this time of year is. How some organizations do go out of their way to help those who are in a vulnerable situation. By spending money on the people who are destitute and does not expect anything in return. \That to me is what Christmas is supposed to be all about. 
    That's the positive side of Christmas.
    And the negative side of Christmas is something l do hate. People chasing materials, to satisfy the growing lust for the latest gadgets. The must-have toy for the child. A huge amount of waste is being discarded during this time of year. And the billions of living souls[animals] being slaughtered for this festival. The gluteney , and temptation etc are some of those deadly sins we were taught to keep away, for obvious reasons
    l remember my mother when she was a nurse during the '70s and 80's the many stories she told me, patients, with so many physical injuries and self-inflicted injuries coming in. Some were caused by violence, and some were caused by eating and drinking far too much that led to severe constipation, heart attacks, and digestive and haemorrhaging.
    lf Christmas is supposed to be the time of year for peace on earth. Then why do we continue to celebrate the promotion of all these things that causes negativity?
    There is also another bit of Christmas l have doubts with. People celebrate the birth of Jesus. But it says nothing in the bible about what date Jesus was born. So, where did the religion get the date from?
    And another clue here. lf Jesus was born on the 25th of December with the shepherds in the hills and the manger with straw and people dressed like it was a fairly warm time. Then why at the time of year. Israel is quite a cold place, with snow falling on the hills and people would be wearing thicker garments. 
    To me. Christmas should be the time of year to think of others in a less unfortunate situation. That also includes the animals. never to harm any animal and to do the same to people. That to me is peace on earth.
    And that is what l want for Christmas. 

Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail
  • IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Having grown up in a little village in Rural Ireland, some of the old Irish Christmas Traditions are best kept maintained, like having a light in the front window, which I’ve still maintained in my 20 years living in the U.K., getting to Midnight Mass if at all possible is something I’ve always done too - as a child, we would have got on the old CIE Expressway (Bus Éireann) coach to Dublin early on the nearest Sat Morning to Christmas Eve, arriving in Dublin Busaras and seeing the Christmas displays in Clerys, Arnotts, Switzers & Brown Thomas, having lunch in Clerys or Woolworths in Dublin and getting home from Dublin Busaras at 5pm 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I just like the “feeling” I get. I can’t really explain it. The joy of seeing people open special and thoughtful gifts, the family atmosphere, playing games, singing along to music, the turkey dinner and the fact I can chill on the sofa later on and watch TV. Bliss. 

Brightness