Are you feeling the pinch ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you feeling the pinch ?

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2021 in Coffee lounge
With inflation (CPI) now at 5.1% and RPI above 6% and both expected to increase further, are you noticing prices rising? And are you having to cut back your spending?
Most benefits and the state pension will increase in April but only by 3.1%, effectively making us all worse off.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/state-pension-and-benefit-rates-for-2022-to-2023-confirmed
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m fortunate in that I’ve not felt anything as I have made some cuts which have offset the price rises - the cuts are not as a result of prices going up, they are just lifestyle changes: driving less, drinking less and eating less - but I have certainly noticed prices going up, in many cases by far more than 6%.

We have also managed to apply for the £140 warm home discount for the first time which should offset any gas and electric price rises for next year so won’t feel any price rises there. That said I think more the point here is our ignorance and stupidity for not claiming for it for the past decade as we would have been eligible!!

Petrol is up 45% since its lowest but we are not driving as much nor as far these days so that offsets the price rise for us. Something I do find a bit amusing is reading about how Americans are putting pressure on Biden to reduce fuel prices as they are too high. These high prices are approx £2.50 per US gallon (3.8 litres). We pay £5.50 for the same quantity. That said while we are OK I do feel for those in the UK with a long commute who have no choice but to just pay 45% extra to get to work.

I guess the solution is to work out whether you are claiming everything you can and where to make cuts, but I do feel for people who are already at that point where there is nothing left to cut.

• woodbine
    @66Mustang thats an interesting point, I think there are many people who find that they now having nothing left to cut and that quite wrongly people will be left with a desperate choice this winter between heating and eating.
    The short term solution to inflation would be increasing interest rates, which might happen tomorrow, a move that might be welcomed by millions of savers but bad news for the many more millions with mortgages.

For many reasons we live in worrying times.

• TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I've certainly noticed increases.  My usual shop has gone up, not much if you look at each individual item, but it soon adds up across a full basket.  My local taxi firm have increased their minimum fare to £3.80 from £3.40, again not much in its self, but enough to notice.

I'm lucky that I have neighbours who grow fruit and will happily swap a bag of apples or tomatoes for a raid of my blackberry bushes, but thats in the summer.  We have a winter to get through yet.

I don't drive so I don't have that to worry about and I can sew and knit, so can make or repair clothes if I need to, but not everything can be home made, somethings still have to be brought.

Then there's the gas and electricity increases coming at the worse time of the year.  The lockdown took a lot of my savings, I think this winter may just take the rest.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    We have reduced our gas costs by having the heating on low, not great but bearable.
    my next big expense is a tooth extraction tomorrow, it’s caused me a sleepless night so out it must come but it’s difficult to get to see a dentists unless you’re a regular client. I’ve had to go private and I’ve been told just to see the dentist is £60, he said we’d talk about the extraction cost later, ooer! I’m past caring to be honest, I can’t stand the pain anymore. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal with you there on the toothache luckily mine has gone for now but will be back . I can't find a dentist as the local ones are not accessible for wheelchair 

My mission in new year to find one and have my teeth out and dentures I have lost a lot of teeth so just want the rest gone 
  • leeCal
    edited December 2021
    I think dentures are definitely the way to go, I had all my top teeth out some years ago and just have a few bottom ones left, such pain, definitely putting a nerve in a tooth is a design fault surely.

good luck with it @janer1967

ps. I remember reading somewhere that some dentists will do home visits, though I expect there’s a premium to pay for that service and it may not be available in all areas.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal yes I read about the home visits thanks for the info will definitely look into it 
  • woodbine
    For 90% of the time all this year we have done our grocery shopping online, and we noticed that we were spending less than we would instore although you can't help but notice that certain items are dearer each week, but we have also saved money, we would have a taxi to the store and back £13.00 delivery was only £4.50 so £9 saving, we have recently signed up for delivery saver which is £8 per month so thats another £10 saved.
    But we have seen increases in other areas our electric direct debit went from £30 to £40 a month overnight, and out bottled gas from £45 to £55 a bottle (we aren't on the gas grid sadly), so far we are just ahead of the game.
    But with benefits increasing by only 3.1% in April when inflation could be double that, this next year doesn't look like much fun.

Brightness