What's your favourite nativity memory? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your favourite nativity memory?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
Did you do a nativity as a child? If so, what's your favourite memory?

Whether you bagged the coveted role of Mary or Joseph, or were proud to be first lobster (YouTube), we want to hear about it!

One of my nativity memories is being the narrator one year, and having to learn a little song on handheld bells with the other narrator. It took us ages, but we smashed it on the night.
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was a narrator every year for some reason so I managed to get out of singing :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Son 30 years ago played Joseph, he decided it wasn't the Baby Jesus in the crib but "Kraft cheeses" much to the amusement of all watching.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was an angel lol 

But the best memory was watching toby in his first nativity as one of the 3 Kings proud mum moment I cried buckets 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I couldn’t speak when I was a child so I couldn’t ask to be in the nativity play as others did. But, if I’d been able to I would’ve made a good angel I’ll bet.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    I remember having various roles over the years in the Nativity, but one year I was one of the kings and loved decorating my crown with lots of jewels and glitter :) I had so much fun!
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Mine has always been the singing! 

Even if I can't sing properly  :#

I particularly remember singing away in a manger!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • CountryMimi
    CountryMimi Scope Member Posts: 145 Pioneering
    Options
    Not a nativity, but was a school Christmas play. I must have been 6 or 7 and I used to get so wound up at the thought of being on stage in front of parents that often I would end up being poorly...kinda funny considering that when I finished school I went on to study performing arts and dance for 6 years 😂😂 but I remember I had an awful headache and all of a sudden, before setting off to school for the evening, I projectile vomited all the way from the living room to the bathroom! And my dad still made me go and do the play 🙈
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh goodness @countrymimi! That doesn't sound like the ideal pre-show experience :D 

How did you learn to manage your stage fright? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • CountryMimi
    CountryMimi Scope Member Posts: 145 Pioneering
    Options
    @Tori_Scope 😂😂😂

I did always struggle with it, but in certain situations it somehow seemed slightly easier. I think the idea of focusing on the choreography and technique when dancing was a bit of a distraction for me. I also sort of had my own particular strategies, especially in the latter years. I always had my entrances and exits planned and tended to wait in the wings probably at least two - three dance pieces before I was due on stage
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I remember being in the nativity shows, can't remember what roles but I remember the silver stars on a silver stick for some reason.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I relate to you @Sandy_123. I can't remember which role but I remember being involved in the Away in a Manger nativity when I was younger. 

Do you remember if you enjoyed being in the nativity shows? I know the songs from the nativity I was involved with have stuck with me  B)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    edited December 2022
    Options

I can hear that, although you always struggled with it, in certain situations it somehow seemed slightly easier @CountryMimi.

Distraction sounds like a really helpful thing! Especially when it involves so much focus. I feel this could be extended to other situations too.

It is really positive to hear that you developed your own particular strategies, especially in the latter years  :)

Brightness