Does anyone else suffer from hearing voices? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone else suffer from hearing voices?

cloe101
cloe101 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Just want to know if there are people like me? x 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cloe101

Thank you for posting and for talking about hearing voices. How long have you experienced this for? Is it something that concerns you?

Have you ever discussed it with anybody else such as your GP? They will be able to advise you about it and potentially support you to manage your mental well-being.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • cloe101
    For 6 years and well kind of but just wondered if there was anyone like me out there? I see my GP and am on anti psychotic medication but everything is good thanks ? 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to a lot, but then it stopped a few years back. I recently started hearing them again and spoke to a good friend I trust implicity and she explained it was probably a good indicator my mental health was not as good as I thought.

After chatting I decided to cut down the extra hours I was doing at work and spend less time on the computer. They stopped after a couple of weeks, as I got less stressed and more relaxed. I don't always realise the voices are just in my head and react to them, which causes my family some confusion. 

Talking to my friend was the first time I had ever mentioned it, and to be honest I worried how she would react. 

For me it is often random comments, or 'someone' calling my name. I also get something similar when falling asleep or waking up, but realise very quickly they are not real. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• cloe101
    I’ve heard my name being called too, hope you’re okay I know it’s scary sometimes but it gets better :) 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cloe101 :) How are you doing today? 

This isn't something I've personally experienced, but I know people who do experience this. It's more common than many people think.

I'm glad that you've spoken to your GP about it. Does the anti-psychotic medication help at all? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    It sounds as though your friend had a good reaction @Geoark, which is great :) I'm glad that reducing your stress levels by taking time away from work and your computer has helped! It seems as though you now have a good understanding of the kinds of steps you can take if you feel your mental health taking a dip again. 

• cloe101
    edited December 2021
    Hey Tori, I’m good thanks how are you? =) yeah the medication makes me sane =) x
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    I hear voices and was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia when I was 18/19, but with the medication I am on the voices are just muffled whispers/noise now and then and happens when I'm in a stressful environment. The voices do get bad though when I'm becoming unwell as well as paranoid thoughts and can be a scary time especially when theres no way to switch them off at times. I try my best just to ignore them as best I can and don't really react to them unless again I am becoming unwell but there is times when you get tricked and instinctingly react to them.
  • Ookpik
    Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
    l have been diagnosed with cervical dystonia and tinnitus and insomnia. And this tinnitus seems to have started in 2008, that was when my dystonia got worse, it seems to have gone to a different level. And that is when l started to hear voices, but mainly l hear a high pitch sound, and sometimes an orchestra coming from a distance. 
    Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail
  • rish
    rish Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    cloe101 said:
    Just want to know if there are people like me? x 
    I do off meds. I have had two episodes of psychosis over 10 years. 
  • cloe101
    I have psychosis and severe anxiety had my episode a few years ago but I’m so much better now currently taking a antipsychotic medication and anxiety medication which keeps me sane =) hope everyone is well and Merry Christmas! X 
  • GeoChris
    GeoChris Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I have a condition called EUPD, sad to say yes, I hear voices, sometimes, I hear noises, very rarely, do I hallucinate visually. I hope you are well. 
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I don't hear voices, but I do have tinnitus which can sound either like a high pitched whistle or a full orchestra, I must admit, I kind of like the orchestra as its quite tuneful, especially the string section.

When I'm very tired and losing concentration I can often hear a loud bang which wakes me up, especially when I'm alone.  I've checked for external sources of this bang and found none.
  • Tori_Scope
    Sorry for missing your message before Christmas, I'm good thank you @cloe101 :) I'm glad that the medication helps! I hope you had a good Christmas. 

Would you say you're receiving enough support for your EUPD at the moment @GeoChris? Is your GP aware that you've been experiencing some auditory and visual hallucinations? 

• cloe101
    I’m reviewing receiving support from my mental health team, GP and family/friends. Yeah, my GP knows and my mental health review is due so I’m going to let my GP know more about my mental health. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cloe101

I am really glad you are receiving support from your mental health team, GP, and family/friends. I hope speaking to your GP goes well for you! If you need any support with this, please do feel free to let us know. We are always here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • cloe101
    Thank you for your support :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    It's good that you will be letting your GP know @cloe101, hopefully they will be able to support you further to manage your mental health.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness