PIP Mandatory Reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

abhishek_96
abhishek_96 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone, 

I hope you are all keeping well during these challenging times. 

This is my first post on the scope forums, so I do apologise if I have gotten some of the housekeeping rules wrong. 

I recently received my PIP decision. I am now in the process of drafting a Mandatory Reconsideration against that decision. 

My claim originally began on 23/04/2021. 

My question is, if I am successful with my Mandatory Reconsideration, will I receive a back payment up until the original date my claim began (23/04/2021) or will the back payment only be up until the date I received the decision on PIP?

Thanks in advance :) 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Hello @abhishek_96 - & welcome to the community. Your post is absolutely fine, so no worries. I'm keeping well, thank you, & I hope you are the same.
    If this is your first PIP claim, then if you are awarded, any monies due would be from the date you first rang the DWP to start your claim.
    With your Mandatory Reconsideration give a couple of recent, detailed examples of the difficulties you face for each activity/descriptor where you feel you should have gained points, i.e. when did it happen, where, what happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences, i.e. how did it leave you feeling after attempting/doing an activity, fatigued/exhausted for example? Can you do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat it as often as one would reasonably expect, or does it take you much longer than someone without a disability? If not, say so. Ensure you put your name & National Insurance number on each page. Keep a copy of everything 'just in case,' & get a free Certificate of Posting from your Post Office when posting.
  • abhishek_96

Hello @chiarieds,

Firstly, let me start by apologising for the delay in my response. I am glad to hear you are keeping well and I am also keeping well, many thanks. 

Yes, this is my first PIP claim. Thank you very much for not just clarifying the original question I asked but also offering additional advice on how to deal with the Mandatory Reconsideration. I aim to send the Mandatory Consideration by early next week at the latest.

I hope you have a great Christmas.

Take care :) 

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering

Hello @chiarieds,

Firstly, let me start by apologising for the delay in my response. I am glad to hear you are keeping well and I am also keeping well, many thanks. 

Yes, this is my first PIP claim. Thank you very much for not just clarifying the original question I asked but also offering additional advice on how to deal with the Mandatory Reconsideration. I aim to send the Mandatory Consideration by early next week at the latest.

I hope you have a great Christmas.

Take care :) 

Hello @abhishek_96 :)    

How are you today?

I'm glad @chiarieds was able to help with your queries. If you would like any further information about the mandatory reconsideration process, I've posted a few resources below that might be helpful for you:  
    Please keep us updated in the process and if you have any other questions along the way, just get back in touch and hopefully some of our members will be able to help out :) 

Libby  
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • abhishek_96

Hello @Libby_Scope :) 

I am doing very well thanks, how are you? 

Thank you very much for providing me with the additional recourses for the Mandatory Reconsideration process, I will take a look at these. 

For background information, I applied for PIP earlier this year on the basis of my Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). I recently received my decision from the DWP who awarded me 7 points for the daily living activities and 0 for the daily mobility activities. 

Although my OCD does affect my daily mobility activities (driving), I know that I would not warrant a high enough score to be entitled to the mobility award which is absolutely fine and I do not wish to challenge the DWP's decision for that. 

However, with the daily living activities, the DWP have awarded me 0 points for managing toilet needs, mixing with other people and budgeting decisions. Frustratingly, I provided adequate medical evidence to prove that my ability to complete these activities is effected by my OCD. Moreover, I provided extremely detailed information in both my application form and the assessment about the specific issues I face with each of the activities. 

I found the decision to be very contradictive throughout and very little consideration was given to the evidence and information provided. Instead, the assessor decided to make incorrect inferences about my OCD and how it affects me. I also found some of the comments made by the assessor to be quite discriminatory. 

Nevertheless, I have addressed each issue in the Mandatory Reconsideration in great detail. Being a law student, I have also made reference to the relevant regulations and any applicable case law that will support my arguments lol.  

I will most definitely keep you guys updated and I really appreciate the advice and input you guys have made :) 

Have a great Christmas @Libby_Scope :) 

Abhishek 

• abhishek_96
    Hello everyone,

just a quick update, I have submitted my mandotrory reconsideration to the DWP today via special delivery. 

I will keep you all updated once I hear from the DWP. 

Have a great Christmas everyone :) 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there Glad you have submitted your Mr it may be a while till you hear anything they are taking several months unfortunately and with the Xmas break and working from home could delay things 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Special delivery means nothing for DWP, it still has to go through the usual mail sorting process as every other mail. It's signed for by someone from Royal mail not someone from DWP. It's not classed as arriving until it's been added to the computer which can take quite a few week, add on Christmas and New year closing days as well as the usual backlogs. All you need is proof of posting which is free from any post office.
    Good luck with the MR.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • abhishek_96
    @janer1967 yes unfortunately it does seem like it could be a while before I hear anything back from the DWP.

I am just happy I have submitted the MR and completed everything on my side of things. 

Have a great Christmas:) 
  • abhishek_96
    Hello @poppy123456,

many thanks for the information, I submitted it special delivery just to be safe. 

I did not know that the signature for special delivery was done by someone at Royal Mail. I was under the impression it was the signature of the recipient. Thanks for informing me of that :) 

many thanks for the luck.

have a great Christmas :) 

• abhishek_96
    edited December 2021
    Hello [Username removed by moderator]

Many thanks for your input! I always send anything important special delivery for the exact reason you stated regarding the proof of delivery. 

Have a great Christmas :)  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Though it isn't proof at all that DWP have received it. All you need is proof that you sent it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited December 2021
    I understand what you are saying and would normally agree if what was posted was going direct to the end point. 

However, with DWP it goes to a mail sorting site first and therefore not direct to DWP. It is signed for at this point. 

After that it is then taken to DWP. 

So could be signed for and still go missing. That proof of delivery would then be pointless. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Closed pending review. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I've removed a number of comments from this discussion, as the entire conversation had become derailed. Many comments were riddled with rude or passive-aggressive remarks, or comments that simply broke our community house rules

There will be no further conversation in this discussion about the merits of different types of postage.

@abhishek_96: wishing you the best of luck with your MR. I hope the arguments here haven't put you off reaching out for support should you need it again. Please do let us know how you get on. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • abhishek_96
    Hello @Adrian_Scope,

I hope you are keeping well?

many thanks for wishing me luck, I greatly appreciate it :) 

Please be assured that I am fully confident to still reach out for any further help I may require from people on the forum. 

I am sure that everyone that contributed to this post only had good intentions to help :) 

I will update you all once I hear back from the DWP regarding my MR.

I want to wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year and I hope you all keep safe :) 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too @abhishek_96 :)

Thank you for being so understanding, I wish you all the best for a smooth MR process, we'll hopefully hear from you in due course.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @abhishek_96 :) 

I would also like to wish you good luck with your mandatory reconsideration and I hope you were able to retrieve some helpful information and advice from our community :) 

Keep us updated and have a wonderful Christmas! 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • disbutveryabled
    disbutveryabled Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hello everyone, 

I hope you are all keeping well during these challenging times. 

This is my first post on the scope forums, so I do apologise if I have gotten some of the housekeeping rules wrong. 

I recently received my PIP decision. I am now in the process of drafting a Mandatory Reconsideration against that decision. 

My claim originally began on 23/04/2021. 

My question is, if I am successful with my Mandatory Reconsideration, will I receive a back payment up until the original date my claim began (23/04/2021) or will the back payment only be up until the date I received the decision on PIP?

Thanks in advance :) 
    The initial claimaint date. I had an MR accepted, and I got backdated from the date I put on the PIP form (17/02/2021). Best way to appeal an IAS report is to list all the discrepencies in their analysis and/or findings (incorrectly saying your eye contact was good on a phone call, omitting important details discussed which could be in your favour). It was my strongest vantage point for when I got my IAS report overturned.
  • disbutveryabled
    disbutveryabled Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hello everyone,

just a quick update, I have submitted my mandotrory reconsideration to the DWP today via special delivery. 

I will keep you all updated once I hear from the DWP. 

Have a great Christmas everyone :) 
    I did my MR over the phone, but in my case the IAS was so obviously bad they told me "not to worry about it and let DWP take care of the MR". I asked for extra time as I was anxious that my correspondence wouldn't reach them in time. They allowed me 4 extra weeks, so it's always handy to communicate concerns to them, as some of the time they aere willing to help. If you get no joy from 1 person, redial and reroll the operator.
  • abhishek_96
    Thank you @Alex_Scope & @Libby_Scope for your best wishes :) 

I will be sure to keep you updated as soon as I get any response from the DWP :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.