Touching story — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Touching story

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
I have just read something in a regional newspaper that has helped restore my belief that there are good people out there. In brief:

A mum was queueing in Aldi to pay for her stuff, her 7 year old son asked her if he could have a packet of crisp she said that she probably didn't have enough money and would see if she had enough after paying for her shopping.
A man in front of them overheard this and turning to the boy said "here's £10 get what you like".

It could be quite sad in a way, but it reminded me what the true meaning of this time of year should be all about, acts of kinds, showing concern for others, and giving if we can to those who need our gifts not those who expect them.

If you can do one thing over the next few days make it an act of kindness towards others.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was in a shop today and a little girl was asking her mum for something and I really wanted to buy it for her but I stopped myself, I figured the mother would not like it at all for several reasons. 

Having said that, I like your story a lot and there are others who need our help this Christmas , I hope others are braver than I was! 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a lovely story. 

Like @leeCal, I wish I had the confidence to do stuff like that.

During the Covid restrictions last year we did buy a chocolate figure for a young Polish family who had 4 children. It was back when the supermarkets were only allowing you to buy 3 of an item. They wanted 4 presumably one each for the children. It was something like 99p but they were really grateful.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lovely stories and totally agree we should all try more to give to others in need 

I donate gifts to our local children's ward or hospice 

Brightness