The first concert you went to ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The first concert you went to ?

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
What was the first concert you went to ? Mine was T. Rex in Manchester in 1972 at the age of 13, the first I'm pleased to say of many.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Knebworth approx 1976, saw the stones and 10cc. The Rolling Stones were great and played a lot from their Black and Blue album. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Never been to one only local bands 
  • Autumn_Feeling
    Autumn_Feeling Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    I can’t remember the first concert. I don’t think that I regularly went to gigs/concerts growing up. I didn’t really do that until the last five or six years. Then, I had to stop to protect my health.

Although, I used to go to different radio road shows as a kid when they were a thing. 

In terms of concerts, I went to the live concert for the MTV Music Europe Awards in Princes Street Gardens when it was held in Edinburgh back in 2003. They were holding it at the same time as the award ceremony. Jane’s Addiction, The Flaming Lips and The Chemical Brothers were there. Vin Diesel made an appearance on stage too.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    An interesting post. 

I love Live music and the first gig I ever went to was Oasis at Knebworth Park in 1996. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    The first concert I'm aware I went to was Bingley Music Festival, but I was only a small child at the time so kind of had to go. Blue and S Club 7 played. 

The first concert I chose to go to and bought my own ticket for was to see a punk band called Alkaline Trio at a small club in Leeds, with a couple of friends from school.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I bet that was an experience @csno01
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • jbug
    jbug Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I went to see Barry Manilow with my mother and my gran in 1992 when I was 10.

The first concert I choose was Deftones when I was 14.

A bit of musical spread there! Lol
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    I’ve never been

I’m not keen on excessively loud noise and I’m not keen on crowds so don’t think I ever will, except maybe a classical concert where it’s all civilised and sat down :D 

I do generally prefer live music to the studio copies though - I’ll prefer to listen to a song being played live on YouTube or buy the live copy
  • HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    My mum dragged us to a few folk concerts when we were young, so probably around 1991.  Dad took us to see Mike and the Mechanics and Genesis about 96 and 98.  The first gig I dragged my dad to see was Ash at The Venue in Edinburgh (no longer there) in 97.  It was ticketed as an over 18s event, but it turned out it was over 14s with a guardian (I was under 14 but sneaked in).  Since then I've been to loads of gigs of varying genres and music festivals in the UK, France and Germany. 

My last concert was Rick Wakeman just before Christmas and I managed to see Genesis in Glasgow in October, the last show before they were hit by Covid.  They upgraded our tickets on the day too in the SEC Hydro due to my mobility.  We bought the tickets right at the start of my mobility problems and thought I'd be back to my pre-chronic pain state.  Alas, there was no way of making it all the way to the back row, so the lovely people there managed to move us forward to seating where there were minimal stairs.
  • Ross_Alumni
    What a lovely thing for them to do @HanzRolo, I bet that made it even better.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    What a lovely thing for them to do @HanzRolo, I bet that made it even better.
    It would have taken me a long time to get up and down the stairs to our original seats.  I had painkillers in my bag.  We were prepared to wait until everyone else had filtered out before I walked down all the stairs.  Stairs are my enemy, they cause me the most pain when I walk.  I was so hugely grateful to the staff member who moved all 4 of our seats to the minimal amount of stairs to climb up and down.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    I bet that was an experience @csno01
    @Tori_Scope it was!

The support bill was huge!

I went on the Sunday and the bill consisted of:

Oasis
    Manic Street Preachers
    The charlatans
    Cast
    Dreadzone
    Kula Shaker

:-)

CSno01

• oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Cher. Back in the 1980's
    Birmingham NEC
  • Ross_Alumni
    What a line-up that is @csno01

I've been to the NEC once @oldngrumpy, but it was for a gaming convention, I can imagine that the atmosphere when you were there was drastically different :) 

Brightness