Do Not Rescusitate Request — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do Not Rescusitate Request

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
edited January 2022 in Mental health and wellbeing
I have mentioned on this glorious site the "S" (death) word on numerous occasions.
Now before I ask the following question, please everyone. 
I am OK, but the following question intrigues me..

Just say I had to go into Hospital for a complex operation with major risks.
It was discussed with me the chances of surviving during the operation.
Now the with me I don't want to have a weaker lifestyle than what I have now.
Heavens No.

I instruct the medics that if I take a turn for the worst Do Not Recusitate.

What would be the procedure for this be, would I, I am presuming have to sign a disclaimer?
I would also instruct that if they need anything to take any organ they can make use of.
I emphasise again, I am fully Compos Mentis. 
I am not thinking or going to attempt to end my life.

Thank you Folks

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Have only known two people who had "DNR", my mum and SM mum, both were seriously ill and in their 80's. Some info in the link:

https://www.rochelegal.co.uk/resources/help-guides/do-not-resuscitate-dnr-decisions/
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• oldngrumpy
    Thank you Woodbine
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldngrumpy

Thanks for posting, and I hope the link provided above has been helpful. Is there anything in particular that has caused you to start wondering about this?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • oldngrumpy
    Ross

The only reason I asked this question is because I don't want to go through any future life, struggling.
    I am fully Compos Mentis, I have had a good day today. Been for a drink in pub. A lot of people cannot do this sort of thing, and I ought to be grateful that I can.
    But there is something missing... I don't enjoy life the way I am.
    If I had to go through an operation where I would be more miserable in life than before because of any misfortune.
    I would definitely as DNR
    Ross.. Again I am OK. Thank you

To All At Scope. Keep Up The Brilliant Work.
    Thanking you 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @oldngrumpy

Thank you for your reply and for being so honest and vulnerable. 

I understand that you're grateful for what you can do, and that's an amazing trait to have and helps keep a positive tone, but it is also completely normal to have down/bad days. I know I do and sometimes they can be a struggle but I have tools that I use to help me get out of those bad days. Sometimes they work but sometimes they don't, but it's good that I'm aware of what helps me feel better about things. Do you currently have any support for your mental health? That doesn't have to be professional support, but even just speaking to family/friends about how you feel etc?

We are here for you at Scope and you can be open and honest with us, whether that be via the online community posts, or via private message/email. We are always here with a listening ear :) 

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • oldngrumpy
    Thank you Libby. 
    Is there some way we can privately chat please?
    Alls OK. But I'd like a few answers if you could please. Libby all I got is a phone. I don't posses a computer. So if there is a way. I could pre-prepare (now that's bad English grammar even for my standards) what I need to say ask for advice. Thank you
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Hello @oldngrumpy that's okay, I'm afraid we can't speak with you on the phone, but remember you can always private message the community team, or send an email to community@scope.org.uk 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hey @oldngrumpy :) 

As @Alex_Scope mentioned, we unfortunately, can't speak with you over the phone, but please feel free to either message us privately or send an email to the community inbox. We will happily answer any questions that you might have on those platforms. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness