Random Acts of Kindness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Random Acts of Kindness

Options
Libby_Alumni
Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
edited January 2022 in Coffee lounge

I realise that this news article is a little out of date, however, I still think it has huge relevance to all our lives today and how we can spread kindness, through the simplest and smallest of actions.

The article explains:

"A man who has been performing random acts of kindness in his community has seen his generosity repaid by having his car filled with surprise treats.”

“Chris Buckler has been handing out gifts, paying for people’s shopping, and leaving chocolates on car window screens in his community in Hinckley, Leicestershire for 20 years.”

I know I feel a sense of gratitude and happiness when I’m kind to people and it uplifts my life too when I see others happy. For example, this is usually through either a nice remark, complimenting someone’s efforts, sending flowers, expressing thanks, or just being there to comfort someone throughout tough times.

• How do you express your kindness to others? 
  • What was the last thing that someone did for you, that made you smile?

Please see the full video and news article here in this link.

Online Community Information Coordinator
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have mentioned this before but I experience a lot of random acts of kindness while driving and learning to drive actually changed my perception of the human race quite a lot. Before I learnt to drive I believed most people were selfish and malicious (based mostly on my experiences in school so an accurate observation if not representative of the entire human race!!) but when I started going out on the roads and people would do things at their own cost to make my life easier I learnt that most people just want to get along. That’s now been observed in other areas of life as an adult but learning to drive was a big step in realising this about human nature :)
  • Libby_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks for the insight @66Mustang :) - I think that's a really interesting way of looking at it and I agree that whilst driving, individual's personalities are shown. I always love it when someone lets me out of a junction or stops and lets me go and we both say thank you at the same time - it's the small things, isn't it?!
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think we are all decent human beings, some times some deviate from that but on the whole we aren't bad. The one thing that gets in the way is life, excluding covid most people are engrossed in earning a living to keep a roof over their heads and their kids fed and clothed, and we have lost that feeling of society where we all knew our neighbours and looked out for them.

Covid in it's own way brought many back together again, but we are slipping back into our old ways.
    We are lucky we have some really good neighbours who we know well and who are good friends and we all help each other out, but sadly thats the exception today and not the rule as it once was.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I sometimes contribute to charities rather than give money to people on the streets.

I also sometimes say hello to people as we pass by outside if they look friendly, or say thanks to people if they hold a door open for me etc. Little things can mean a lot. I also chat occasionally to someone if they look as though they want to stop and talk, often the elderly like a chin wag about the weather. For some it might be the only person they talk to all day. Costs nothing but a few minutes of time. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Libby_Alumni
    Options
    I also agree @woodbine, I think that sense of community is vital for mental health. There's been numerous studies that show relationships are one of the most important aspects of our lives and people who are more socially connected to family, friends, or their community are happier, physically healthier and live longer, with fewer mental health problems than people who are less well connected [please see the link here for some of the research]. I'm glad you personally have a good support hub and really kind neighbours - it makes all the difference knowing that you can trust and rely on people :)

@leeCal - they are all wonderful acts of kindness and it's lovely that you commit to them throughout your life. You never know what someone is going through, so I think it's so important to be kind to people who you meet :)

Scope

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,986 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Me I natter to everyone, on park bench, at the bus stop, in ques, everywhere I go basically. You'd be sirprised at the conversations I've had with strangers. 
    Alot tell me their worries, I try to help. To go to my local, shop drs or chemist, I have to walk across a field, there is a old man who lives in a bungalow near the field, who walks up and sits on his trolly seat, I always  stop n talk to him as he don't see many people, he always talks about his late wife and childhood. 
    As well as I give to charity and suport things in the community like pet rescues and plant sales for charity in people's gardens.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's lovely @Teddybear12 :) Small interactions like that can really cheer someone up if they're feeling a little down or lonely. 

It great that you chat to strangers like that @Sandy_123! I agree that you can have some really interesting conversations with people you don't know. Everyone has a story to tell.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ookpik
    Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Options
    Wouldn't society be great if everyone behaved in a kind way towards each other and towards the natural creation of life we all need? That is what bonds society, is caring.
    Here is a quote l think does hit the spot.

Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
    Options
    I met friends in town for breakfast this morning. We began to make our way out of the restraunt and saw a couple of people coming into the eatery. As they were coming towards us,  they stood aside giving way to me, explaining me to take my time. Which I thought was very nice of them. They were very pleasant also.
    I am beginning to think morning people are more friendly. :-)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's nice @csno01:) You'd hope most people would be like that, but unfortunately not. 

As someone who's definitely not a morning person, I hope that's not the case :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness