My partner gets LCWRA. Can I work, and will we still get the work allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My partner gets LCWRA. Can I work, and will we still get the work allowance?

bi786
bi786 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
edited December 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello

can someone help plz as my partner gets lwrca on uc who is eligible For the work allowance him or can I work an will we still get the work allowance , he won’t be working I will be 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

For uc you claim as a couple so the work allowance applies to the claim so you can work and the work allowance will apply 
  • bi786
    Ok thanks
    work coach said work allowance is for the person who gets limited capability 
    not me 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Your work coach is incorrect here. As advised, it applies to the whole claim and not just your partner.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bi786
  • bi786
    Also may I ask if jobs temporary few weeks once I finish will it close out claim to zero 
    at the moment we are getting limited cability an also career element 
  • poppy123456
    UC is based on earnings received during your monthly assessment period. If your entitlement is reduced to zero after just a few weeks of working then it's unlikely to close your claim completely. The following month with no earnings and your UC amount will return to the usual amount.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bi786
  • poppy123456
  • bi786
    Hi any one can clarify as I’m still confused if I’m entitled to work allowance 

as my husbands gets the lwrca allowance he won’t be working 

I will be working is the work allowance on our claim or only if Mohammed ever works he is allowed yeh work allowance £335
    On previous chat I was told it’s in the claim as we are partners

But as I read online it’s confusing a example it’s confusing me plz read below Sarah wasn’t entitled to work allowance even tho her husband had lwrca element 

Example 2: couple, no children, limited capability for work

John is 30 years old. He is not in work, does not have any children, and receives the limited capability for work and work-related activity element. He also receives £110 a month in contributory Employment and Support Allowance. He has £5,000 in savings. 

John lives with his partner Sarah, who earns £500 a month from employment and has £3,000 in savings. They claim Universal Credit as a couple, which gets paid to John’s account.

John and Sarah’s maximum Universal Credit payment would include the basic element couple’s allowance of £509.91, plus John’s element for limited capability for work and work-related activity of £343.63, totalling £853.54.

The couples’ combined savings exceed the £6,000 limit by £2,000. This can be split into eight £250 parts, adding £34.80 to the couple's assumed income (£4.35 x 8).

So, their total income is assumed to be £534.80.

John doesn’t work, so he doesn’t qualify for the work allowance. As Sarah is able to work and they don’t have children, she won’t qualify for it either. 

As their assumed income is £534.80, their Universal Credit payment will be reduced by £294.14 (£534.80 x 0.55p).

Plus, there’ll be an additional reduction of £1 for each £1 of the other benefits John receives, a further £110 per month.

Overall, the maximum possible payment of £853.53 per month would be reduced by £404.14, bringing their payment to £449.39 per month.

• poppy123456
    bi786 said:

John doesn’t work, so he doesn’t qualify for the work allowance. As Sarah is able to work and they don’t have children, she won’t qualify for it either. 

Where did you get that example from? because it's incorrect. Claiming as a couple the work allowance is applied to the actual claim, not to each individual person. Therefore, as advised you will have the work allowance of £335 per month.
  • bi786
    Hello thank you so much it’s so helpful on here quick reply’s 

I found it in below website 
    plz have look

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/tax-credits-and-benefits/universal-credit/how-universal-credit-is-calculated-acrr84l2ckrv
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2022

The work allowance

You can earn a certain amount before your Universal Credit is reduced if you or your partner are either:

This is called a ‘work allowance’. Your work allowance is lower if you get help with housing costs.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    bi786 said:I found it in below website 
    Very poor that the advice on the Which website is incorrect. I've sent some feedback.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bi786
    Thank you so even tho I don’t have the lwrca group  on Uc my partner head awarded it cause  we  are household one claim the work allowance applies in our claim 

thank you 
  • poppy123456
    bi786 said:
    Thank you so even tho I don’t have the lwrca group  on Uc my partner head awarded it cause  we  are household one claim the work allowance applies in our claim 

thank you 

Yes, as previously advised here..
    bi786 said:

Claiming as a couple the work allowance is applied to the actual claim, not to each individual person.

• happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    I really do not understand LCWRA. sorry for jumping on your thread. We started claiming UC last year because my wife took time out of work due to illness. They said we could have applied for it a few years ago but we did not know.

I was asked to send my work coach sick notes which i did. They then said they wanted me to fill out a 40 page form to see if i was fit for work. I told them that was not happening. I explained to them that me filling the form in would put me through physical pain due to having to fill it in due to chronic pain, and also it would affect me mentally. They threatened to stop any UC because I was refusing to fill the form in. I told them just to contact my doctor if they wanted information.

The second person i dealt with was really nice and they understood and just said it was the guidlines. i understand them doing their job. But out of the blue they sent me a letter saying that i was having a phone assessment for LCWRA which i do not understand what it is. When they phoned they said it was obvious i could not work before she even spoken to me. She said she had looked at my medical records and said this was just a formality. They appologized i was going through this but said i would be awarded it.

But, i am confused what is LCWRA and what does it mean. My wife works but i do not. My wife already gets the carer premium on uc for me because she reduced her hours to look after me. Can you please share any light what all this means
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    happyfella said:.. what is LCWRA and what does it mean. 
    If you are found to have LCWRA (Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity) you receive an extra £343/month in your UC (from the fourth month after you reported the health condition provided you have supplied continuously Fit Notes).

You also get a Work Allowances applied to the claim which means that a part of your wife’s earnings will be ignored completely. If you have children on the claim you will already have the Work Allowance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    calcotti said:
    If you are found to have LCWRA (Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity) you receive an extra £343/month in your UC (from the fourth month after you reported the health condition provided you have supplied continuously Fit Notes).

You also get a Work Allowances applied to the claim which means that a part of your wife’s earnings will be ignored completely. If you have children on the claim you will already have the Work Allowance.

Thank you for that. No one has ever explained it to me.
  • calcotti
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:

Thank you for that. No one has ever explained it to me.

You've been previously advised about this on here. Previous thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/79359/need-urgent-advice-please#latest

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.