Universal credit payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit payment

Kennym2022
Kennym2022 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
edited May 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I recently applied for UC at the end of March due to not being able to work anymore I have been on SSP since December 28th I have a number of health conditions I have been in my job for sixteen years so this all new to me I haven't claimed bebeifts in a long time.  As soon as I claimed UC I filled form in for trying to get the disibility payment and sent it away about five or six weeks ago.  I got my first payment at end of April I was surprised at how low my two weekly payments was. Standard rate was 324.84 I obviously had an advance so that was 13.54 deductions plus 24.79 pounds deductions for a budget loan my SSP work earnings was 394.88 yet all together I had 255.51 in deductions leaving me with 69 pound for monthly payment. They no I am on SSP they also no I am single and don't get housing benefit so is this correct.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Until the Work Capability Assessment is complete that is correct.

If you are found to have LCW or LCWRA you will have a Work Allowance applied which means that the first £557 of your earnings/SSP will be ignored so your UC will jump. The WA will be backdated until the start of the claim so you will be due arrears once the WVA decision is made (if the decision is LCW or LCWRA).

If the decision is LCWRA you will also get the LCWRA element included from your fourth payment (an extra £354.28/month).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kennym2022
    Thanks for the swift reply this is all so confusing to me and this wasn't really explained to me properly infzct it seems the staff they employ havent a clue either. 
  • Kennym2022
    Do these rules apply for Northern Ireland as forgot to ask say that's where I am from 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Do these rules apply for Northern Ireland as forgot to ask say that's where I am from 

Yes, the same rules apply nationally.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kennym2022
    Hi just an update I got this today in my journal which is obviously good news does this mean I get my first payment in July I was suprised as I didn't have to do an assessment at all.

Hi Kenneth, Please see attached letter regarding your Work Capability Assessment Determination.
    You are now in the 'no work related requirements' work group which may have generated new commitments
     in your to-do list
     which will need to be read and accepted within 7 days. Failure to accept new commitments may result in
     case closure. 

Please note your first payment will be 4 months after the decision was made.
    Your LCWRA element will go into payment in 21/06/2022 - 20/07/2022  assessment period.

Regards
    WCA Team

• poppy123456
    Yes your first LCWRA payment will be in July. This is because there’s a full 3 month assessment period waiting time. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kennym2022
    Happy days should I send this info to dfc regarding my pip claim or will it not make much difference I guess now my universal credit payments will go up aswell and I won't get 220 pound reductions from then either 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Happy days should I send this info to dfc regarding my pip claim 
    LCWRA and PIP are assessed differently.
    .. I won't get 220 pound reductions from then either 
    The advance and the budgeting loan will still be deducted.
    You will now have a Work Allowance which means that the first £557 of earnings/SSP will be ignored, so the earnings deduction will go down. Note that the Work Allowance should be backdated to when you reported the health condition so you will be entitled to arrears of UC for those months to take into account the reduced earnings deduction.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    PIP and LCWRA are 2 completely different benefits with different criteria. 
    If the deductions are because of earnings and you didn’t previously have the work allowance then you will now have this from the assessment period in which you reported your health condition. 
    If you claim for help with the rent you can earn up to £344 before the deductions apply. Or £573 if you don’t claim for help with any rent. 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Yes, Work Allowance is £573 (if not renting) as per poppy's reply - no idea why I put £557!
  • Kennym2022
    Do I get this payment tomorrow or after not sure assessment period for lcwra was 21/06/2022-20/07/2022 nothing coming up in payments or journal 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2022
    Your assessment periods are 21st to 20th of each month. Your next payment will be 27th July, which should include the LCWRA element. Your next statement should be arround 23rd July and on there it will tell you all the elements included and any deductions.
    Your payment date will always be 27th of each month, exactly the same as previous months.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.