DISABLED DRIVERS WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CARS HELP! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DISABLED DRIVERS WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CARS HELP!

Options
Lollyjog
Lollyjog Community member Posts: 1 Courageous
Does anybody of you drive a "normal", NON ADAPTED (small city) car with AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION? I have cp, walk unaided, have good use of my hands and I would like to buy a car with automatic transmission but I don

Comments

• JamessPlace
    JamessPlace Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    The best way for you to find a suitable car is to go to a "roadshow" where you will see most of the main makes/model.
    Or, if you have the time, spend a few hours going to your local showrooms.
  • tetrisa
    tetrisa Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Try Nissan Micra with power steering or anything similar. I'm assuming you've passed your test by the sounds of it. There are many models on the market these days and if you can buy new, then the worlds your oyster.
  • suzi
    suzi Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Helpful advice on selecting the right car for you can be obtained from:

Mavis - Mobility Advice & Vehicle Information Service
    Crowthorne Business Estate
    Old Wokingham Road
    Crowthorne
    Berkshire RG45 6XD

Telephone/Minicom 01344 661000
    Fax: 01344 661066

Website: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...age/029608.hcsp
  • pauliewillfixit
    pauliewillfixit Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I recentlall they changed my vehicle with Motability - Went to get a Micra and found it much too small - Nissan had an almera auto on nil deposit so I went for that instead.

Try and get a ride in as many cars as you can as different models give different handling. I have driven 5 or 6 different vehicles and have found my favourites to be:

1. Toyota Avensis
    2. Peugeot 405
    3. Peugeot 206
    3. Nissan Almera

Modern cars are much lighter with power steering (both the Peugeots were heavy) so you need to have a go - many showrooms will come to you with a vehicle so that might be less stress than going round showrooms.

It's meant to be fun getting a new car - enjoy :)
  • mitch
    mitch Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    We bought a BMW 320td with auto box as my wife can no longer deal with the clutch.Now its a fight to see who drives.We drive into france each year and its good to reach our detination without all the aches and pains.For thoes who do the same get a Liber-T badge from SANEF.Can be ordered online with a little french and a debit/credit card.No getting out to pay the toll.You can get them on a monthly basis.Happy motering.Mitch
  • Han
    Han Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Options
    My parents changed our car to a Honda jazz, I could not drive with a clutch and yet we needed a small car (we live in central London) but the joy of the jazz is that its also big enough on the inside for what we need a car for.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Options
    What about the Citeron C2 or C3?
  • Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, have you ever been to the mobility road show? You can test drive most vehicles with or without adaptions. Lots of different cars there and plenty of advice. It is on this year in Peterborough, first weekend of July.

Google Mobility Road Show for details and free tickets.

Hope this helps

Karen
  • Mickal
    Mickal Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Amongst all the New Cars in the market, I think Nisan Micra is good for you, because it has a power steering. Although its a bit expensive, but you can always try a Used Cars dealer, and you might get lucky.
  • cathie
    cathie Community member Posts: 143 Courageous
    Options
    Had one on mobility for eight years  great drive but found both went wrong twelve hundred pound to replace now I am aware not really needed auto is just as good without major expensive if breaks ..ford focus both cars .. may be a fault   home work is essential as is test drive ..good luck 
    Only me .. cathie..
  • Alanh
    Alanh Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    I changed my car to an automatic due to awful sciatic pain to my left leg and was unable to drive a car where I had to use a clutch pedal. This has helped and been using an automatic for the last 8yrs, and without this would not be able to drive at all. This is not through motability as have not claimed for any benefits but physical symptoms now so bad means I am considering applying for PIP, as struggling to do the basic daily chores. 
  • regent
    regent Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    I suggest everyone should consider the Manufacturer / dealer mobility options availability locally.,Before going for the Government Mobility scheme.Better options with Dealer schemes.
  • Alanh
    Alanh Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    I did that 8 yrs ago and purchased an automatic and it has changed my life and able to drive further than when driving a manual car.

Brightness