Adults with cp and neurologists - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adults with cp and neurologists

Options
2»

Comments

• panther
    panther Community member Posts: 251 Courageous
    Options
    Hi acrossthepond
    Thanks for your reply you've come up with some useful and interesting things in your post I will have to google some of these things that you've found and see if there is anything that might help with all the pain and fatigue issues or just with getting the doctor to understand
    Hope you've found some useful things for yourself while you've been doing these searches. Please keep in touch with us on here if you find any thing that might be helpful for all of us.
    Take care Helen
  • acrossthepond
    acrossthepond Community member Posts: 36 Listener
    Options
    Hi Helen,

There is something that I left out of my last posting. When I first started out trying to find out why in my ability to function and sustain my lifestyle was declining, I heard a public service announcement on the radio that was my first clue.

The radio announcement said that many people diagnosed with cerebral palsy in the 50's and 60's in particular might have been misdiagnosed and, might, in actuality, suffer from a condition known as Dystonia. The announcement listed potential symptoms that sounded alot like my initial symptoms so I contacted the Dystonia Foundation in the U.S. and asked for information to be sent. The spokesperson in the announcement was the tv actor Michael Connors, who had once starred in a tv program called Mannix. Some may remember him from way back when.

Upon receipt of the information, things started to line up a little. Through the Dystonia Foundation I received the phone number of a hospital that had a movement disorder clinic and when I called I was given an appointment with a doctor who could evaluate me. It turns out that I have Dystonic Cerebral Palsy. My original diagnosis of CP was deemed corrected but the dystonia accounts for some of the posturing of my limbs etc.

Finding this out didn't change how my treatment is handled much but it explained some of my other experiences that had or were occurring and continue to do so. It also gave me a wonderful doctor who assisted me for 10 years before leaving his post to work for a pharmacuetical company because of the fiasco that is happening in our healthcare system (a precursor of our current, ongoing problems within our healthcare system.)

I hope that this information helps some find new or additional avenues of treatment.

• chriscarterstevens
    chriscarterstevens Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi all, I am very new to this forum and hope to be in good company and around others who will understand and empathise with my situation and feelings. I have suffered cp since birth and am now 27. It affects mainly my left side, both arm and leg, and is causing other difficulties such as aches, pains and lack of ability to do simple tasks.

I too have been referred to a neurologist, and am currently waiting for botox injections into both legs, as my right (good) leg is starting to suffer too due to excess pressure put on it. Does anyone have a clue about possible side effects and/or how regularly it has to be given and its effectiveness?

I do find, even though I am married and have a 1 yr old daughter whom I adore, I struggle to get family on my wifes side and even my wife (who knows all about my cp) to understand and accept the limitations which my cp is now putting on me. It is frustrating that people almost have the attitude with me that I should get on with things as if I were able bodied (which of course I am not) and I am hoping to find support groups or similar in order to help me cope with the wider problems which I suffer.

Hope all is well with everyone on here, hope to speak to you soon.
  • Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum. You have found the right place to meet people who understand what you are going through. As you have probably read, in this thread, Helen recomends printing and reading, and refering to the fact sheet produced by Scope on Ageing with CP. Its a very helpful fact sheet, and you might find it useful to have a copy handy to show to family, friends and even your GP to help them understand what you are going through, and that you are not making it up. Dont worry, I think most of us have been there at some stage, probably due to the fact that as a person 'born' with CP we have learned to just get on with it. What people fail to understand is that as you get older it gets tougher and more difficult to get on with. Its frustrating and depressing, and lack of understanding dosent help, although I am sure they dont mean any harm.

With regard to the Botox. I have recently had this treatment suggested to me. I was told that it last for approx 3 months, so I could try it and if it works, all well and good, if it dosent at leaset we know it will wear off after 3 months. At the moment I am attending my local hospital once a week for a 25 min Hydrotherapy session, which seems to be helping to loosen my muscles. I also take Baclofen tabs, 10mg twice daily, three times if I feel I need it. Like you, my CP affects one side more than the other, although all four limbs are affected. I can walk unaided, but I am using my crutches more now, and have a rollator for the 'bad days'. I cant walk very far and have a wheelchair which I use outdoors. I try to keep on the move, as I know that once I stop I wont get going again, which is why I am reluctant to accept surgery.

Well, I hope I have helped and look forward to hearing more from you on here. Good luck with that little girl, take care,

Karen
  • panther
    Options
    Hi Chris
    As Karen has already said welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will find yourself in good company here!
    I'm a hopeless one to advise on medication as I seem to be really sensitve to tablet doses and nothing lasts very long before I get really bad side affects and have to be taken off them. I've tried Baclofen that Karen mentioned but that relaxed my legs too much and I couldn't stand up. I haven't tried Botox when I mntioned it to my gp he said it probably wasn't a good idea because of how I'd reacted to the Baclofen and also that although Botox can work well the body can build up a resistance to it quite quickily thus meaning the doses need to be increased more frequently and then eventually you are on the maximum dose but it's not enough. That said I do know other people that Botox or Baclofen have worked well for.
    I'm just a doctors nightmare I pity whichever neurologist I get reffered to I said to my partner the other day do you think they are passing the refferal between hospitals saying I'm not doing it send it over to another hospital with a neurology department. Because my gp doesn't just want one neurologist to look at the cp but also to look into seizures I've been having years ago I was diagnosed with stress related seizures which eventually stopped but I'm now having these other episodes which we know are seizures but are totally different from anything else I've had before. I think it's all the stress of the welfare reform things doing it but will wait and see if and when I finally get a referal!
    Keep us posted on how things go and in the meantime as Karen and I mentioned give your family and the gp some light reading of the cp and ageing factsheet. Take care Helen
  • MAZZA
    MAZZA Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi my name is Mari-Anne i am new to the forum and was interested to read of the experiences of other adults with CP. I have had CP since birth and this has mainly effected my legs. I walk with a slight gait and my right leg and foot turn inwards . I have had many operations to enable me to walk unaided and as a child I had lots of treatment. However since I was 16 following my last major leg operation I have not had any further treatment. Up untill 12 months ago I could still walk unaided and had worked for my local Authority for 26 years from the age of 17. Suddenly without any warning I started to have falls. My legs would give way without any warning and I was refered by my GP to a Neuro physiotherapist who gave me an exercise programme and I use a delta walker when walking outside. I was refered for orthotic shoes at the local hospital and to a neurologist who suggested that I may need Botox injections in my feet as they are now both turning inward. This has never happened! I have not yet had a fitting for shoes either. I received a letter from the physiotherapist who was liaising with the Neurologist and in April I was discharged for not attending any follow up appointments. The problem was that the physio wanted to see me when I had new shoes and I'm still waiting for an appointment! I'm 44 years old and things have got progressively worse over the past 12 months. I'm feeling slightly embarrassed that I need help with everyday tasks such as dressing and feeling fatigued all the time even after short periods of exercise. My hands tremble slightly, my co-ordination has gone to pot and I have pains in the back of my neck and a constantr headache which needed 3 weeks of hospital treatment. The Neurologist doesn't seem overly concerned abot this but I have spoken to my GP to get a referal to the Neurology Unit at the hospital where I was recently a patient. It's a 50 mile round trip in comparrison to a 20 mile round trip to see my current consultant but I reckon that this will reap dividends in the care I'll receive. To top it all off my daughter was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis last October and I'm naturally worried about her a well. My husband has been running about from hospital to doctor and back again for the past year with the both of us. With working on a full time basis I seem to be constantly shattered when I come home and at weekend it takes me all my time to lift my head off the pillow. With all the cuts in Local Authority spending I might be offered early retirement. I dare say that others will have similar experiences to mine but it's nice to be able to share problems and hopefully find practical solutions.

Best wishes
  • panther
    Options
    Hi Mari Anne
    Sounds like you are having a bad time of things first and foremost either go back to your gp or the neurophysio and explain the reason why you haven't gone to any follow up appointments with the physio was because you still haven't got the new shoes and that you haven't even had an appointment about them.
    If you know contact details for where the shoes were being made contact them as well.
    It seems unless you jump up and down about things as an adult you get very little done. With regards to work I was having the same issues with fatigue and eventually took the decision after a number of months off sick to stop work because I wanted to have a life and didn't want all my time when not at work recovering from being at work. It might be worth thinking about.
    In the mean time either get on the phone or go back to your gp and explain the situation with the non appointment regarding the shoes.

Take care
    Helen
  • Hymerkar
    Options
    Hi Ann Marie, welcome to the 'club' ! I think you will find lots of us on here who are in the same 'club' as you, in that things are getting more difficult for us as adults, and there is very little in the way of support and understanding. I had a regular physio programme at my school until I left in 1979 at the age of 16. The physio and all other support then stopped and I was left to get on with it. I went to St Loyes College, in Exeter and trained as a telephonist, got married, and in the early 80's got my first job. Unfortunately, by 1990 I was finding going to work so physically draining I had no choice but to retire on health grounds in order to have a 'life'. This helped at the time, and my life, for the next 15yrs was reasonably stable as regards my health and physical fitness. In the last 2 years things have got much worse, my feet are very sore because of the abuse they get from my walking. I tried using my wheelchair more, and this gave me terrible back problems. I have shoes from the orthotics department which are not much help, they make them to fit but they soon wear out of shape and give me no support. I have recently started Hydrotherapy sessions at my local hospital, which is a 45 min journey each way, but it is helping, so its worth it. I have had my fourth session today with the Neuro Physio and although I have slept for 3 hours since arriving home, I know that by 2mrw I will feel the benefit. Unfortunately, there is no Hydro next week. I just hope, missing a week dosent set me back.

It is sometimes hard to feel positive. I am normally a happy cheerful person, but I have to admit that my CP is begining to get me down. I feel cheated in a way, because all my life I have believed that CP is not progressive. I suppose by medical terms it isnt, but in reality, with aging, it IS.

Its good to come on here, know I am not alone, help others if and when I can. I just wish we could get some sort of support going for ADULTS with CP as there are not many health professionals who even know we exist never mind know what to do with us.

Well, thats my ramblings over with.

Take care everyone Karen
  • acrossthepond
    acrossthepond Community member Posts: 36 Listener
    Options
    Hi Mari-Anne,

You mentioned in your posting that your legs giveway without warning. I had a similar experience several years ago and eventually my neurologist found the answer, in my case anyway. After he put me through an entire battery of tests, MRI's and brain wave scans etc. he found that there was a difference in my blood pressure when it was taken sitting down vs. standing up. Sitting down, my blood pressure was completely normal. When I stood for 2 minutes and he took it again, it plummeted so fast that he grabbed a chair and made me sit down immediately. He gave me a prescription for some medicine and everything returned to normal. Now, years later, I don't even need to take it anymore. I suspect the low bp was a side effect from the medications I was on then.

I'm not a doctor but you might ask yours to take your blood pressure sitting and again after standing up for a few minutes. The corresponding numbers may give you an answer to your problem.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and I hope you will let me know how things turn out, if you decide to follow up with your doctor. Good luck.

Joyce
  • panther
    Options
    Hi All
    Just a quick update on this post I've got an appointment to go and see the neurologist on the 4th October so could be interesting.
    Looks like it's going to be a week of appointments and recovering from them that week because on the 1st I've got an appointment with the consultant for my 4th lot of surgery on my feet and then the neurologist on the 4th. Anyone would think I had nothing better to do.

Helen
  • Hymerkar
    Options
    Hi Helen, a result at last! Good luck with your two appointments. At least they are close together, perhaps you can discuss your surgery on the 1st and then ask the Neurologist his opinion on the 4th before commiting yourself to further surgery?

All the best, and hope things start to improve for you soon.

Bye for now

Karen

Ps. I have stopped taking the Baclofen as I was finding I was tired all the time and my legs had gone very heavy. Since stopping them my legs are stiff again, but at least they are not so heavy. I have got a Hydro session tomorrow, so I will have a chat with the physio and get her opinion.
  • Hymerkar
    Options
    Hi Helen, just when we think things are looking up eh! Sorry your appointment has been messed about, its so frustrating. Last week I had a Hydro session and Eye Clinic on the same weekend at the same hospital - great, two birds etc. On the way to the hospital I had a phone call on my mobile to say the Hydro was cancelled. Today, I have had a call from my GP to say my appt for blood test 2mrw (I have to go every 2 months) has been changed to Friday. My calendar has so many changed appts, I can hardly understand it LOL.

Well, my Hydro today was my last session, apparently I have had my 6 weeks. They have put me back on the waiting list for a further 6 weeks sessions but cant say when that will be. The physio I saw today said she didnt think my legs were any stiffer despite stopping the Baclofen so she will leave it to me to decide. I think I will go back to how I used them before, where I used to take 2 daily for a week when I feel I need it but not take them for months at a time as I have for the last 6 months.

Take care, keep your chin up.

Love Karen
  • panther
    Options
    Hi Karen What you've said would of been an idea but my appointment on the 1st with the consultant about the foot surgery has been changed to the 8th!! Am begining to think these consultants think we have nothing better to do than keep changing our plans to fit in these appointments. I saw in another post that you've said you've stopped taking the baclofen. I have started stopping my medication some times and when I do for awhile my legs are ok but then they start really hurting again. Good luck with the hydro session hope the physio has some ideas. Take care Helen
  • panther
    Options
    Hi Karen Frustrating for you to have to wait before you can do more hydro as you've said in another post any benefit gained from the last 6 sessions will probably be undone by the time you get to go back. I've also tried stopping my tablets awhile ago I stopped my dantrolene and voltrol I lasted about 3 weeks. I've stopped taking it again at the moment because I want to talk to the gp as we want to try and start a family and I don't know if I can still take the tablets either during this time or when/if pregnant. One of the tablet leaflets says that one of them may make conceiving more difficult so will see what they say on Friday.Take care love Helen
  • kennedyronna
    kennedyronna Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Well according to me physical therapy is used as treatment for people who have severely injured or who have had a surgery. Doctor's have also prescribed Jumper's knee bookwhich consists various stretching exercises that may help in reducing the pain But still I would say that the therapy is performed by a professional and it helps to restore strength and mobility as what was present before the injury occurred or surgery took place.

Brightness