12year Old Hates Wearing Splints — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

12year Old Hates Wearing Splints

ukbuddy
ukbuddy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there,

I would love to hear from kids or other parents who have had experience of splints.My daughter has mild CP and had surgery a year ago on her hips and feet,she now lives with legs splints.
These have made her,along with starting highschool, extremely fed up.
I'm really worried about her as in primary school,she's always been a popular girl who makes friends easily but she comes home upset daily and says shes so lonely.
My daughter went to a different highschool than a lot of her friends,it was her choice and she is now refusing their phone calls and invitations out.
She is so embarrassed about her splints and feels she can't trust new people,the splints limit her in many things.
School have been really supportive but I just hate seeing her so upset.
Would love any feedback,thanks so much.

Michelle

Comments

• speedyinpain
    speedyinpain Community member Posts: 52 Listener
    Hi ukbuddy

I remember wearing splints when i was younger, can i ask what type of splints does your daughter wear ankle splints or full leg splints? I used to wear both for a while, i was able to hide the ankle splints under my clothes but there was no way i could hide the full leg splints.

Splints can take a bit of getting used to because they change and improve the way that you move and walk. It may just be that your daughter just needs time to adjust to using them, then she will regain her confidence.

The other thing could be that your daughters issues with her splints are adding to the fact that she now realises that she may have made the wrong decision about going to a different school than her friends and her refusal to take there phone calls etc could be out of resentment towards them. (i could be totally wrong however)

I am sure that your daughter will be fine just give her time, and be there if she needs you.

Andrew
  • JDWilson
    JDWilson Community member Posts: 90 Listener
    My daughter is 11 and has worn AFO fixed splints from the knee down since the age of 2. The last few pairs have been poorly made bad fitting causing gaping so not supporting ankle and marking feet. At the moment she has been without these for over 3 months she has had more pain in legs and ankles But has been more active too. She takes Baclofen to help relax muscles. She is now Very reluctant to try new ideas or to go back to her splints She starts secondary school this sept and doesn't want to wear them and be different I Can walk without Why should I wear them? she asks. She also is going to a school different to her friends. Did your daughter not wear splints before now? How was the surgery? could she walk before? How long before she walked again? What did she have done with her feet? was it bunnions? My daughter has been refered for surgery Don't know whether to go ahead or not. Surgeon says Yes I can help It. Will break bones in top of legs turn them so legs will be in better possition and Knees wont knock rub together. She has internally rotated hips.Going to Newcastle in Oct to find out more. Physio's reluctant It will be a big op long recovery no Guanantees be better off Could end up worse off. Hard to know what to do for best when experts carn't seem to agree. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • AASH
    AASH Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi there.
    My 13 year old daughter with spastic diplegia had surgery 2 years ago - femoral osteotomies (breaking the femur at both ends) in both legs to improve flexion at her hips and knees. My only advice would be to go to the best orthopaedic surgeon you can find, preferably one who is interested in cp and gait. Also, don't underestimate the recovery time and disruption - my daughter was in full leg casts for some weeks, and didn't start using her walking frame again until 8 months later. It sounds like your daughter is exerting her independence - an ideal attitude for her, but extremely frustrating to you! Do keep in touch.

Hilary
  • JDWilson
    JDWilson Community member Posts: 90 Listener
    Hi Hilary? Thankyou for your reply I don't know what to do for the best. The surgeon is a Dr Bliss at Newcastle He has had Samantha in for a GAIT clinic and has detailed what he thinks she needs doing. I think it is similar to your daughter It involves breaking the bones in top of the leg But the phsio is saying there is a lot more to it than that. I'm not sure if it's all in one op but it sounds like there is something to do in every part of her leg including the feet it will affect muscles and tendons Theyve said it could be a 12month recovery If she gets back to where she is.She can walk a bit ride a Trike and swim she is very determined and will try anything. I'm worried If we go for the op that she may not walk afterwards. Her hips turn inwards her knees rub together her lower legs go outwards and her feet are not in the normal possition.But she doesn't look to bad to me. She gets about. Hilary Did your daughter walk independantly before? Has she improved since the op? Did she want it done or did you decide for her? We are going to Newcastle end of Oct to find out exactly what the surgeon wants to do. Thanks for writing it has helped me to know I'm not alone.

Brightness