Sauna - Is there any evidence that it is helpful for people with CP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sauna - Is there any evidence that it is helpful for people with CP

Noah
Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
edited May 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi
I've found using a sauna to be helpful to my muscle spazums, and good environment to do my pyhiso theorpy.
Does anyone know of any evidence that supports the use of sauna's for people with CP. As i'm trying to get permision from my local council to install a sauna at my home at my own cost. Currently they are objecting, would like to include some medical evidence to try and support my application. Any suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• girllostinspace
    girllostinspace Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Short answer, yes. There has been studies done at least in my home country, and the birth place of Sauna, Finland, and Japan. Just google "sauna and cerebral palsy", and you'll find some of the studies.

Let me know how you are getting on!
  • Noah
    Ah thanks for your reply, that is great, I thought they would have been some studies and it not just a conidence that I have find suana;s helpful. Tried googling "cerebal palsey sauna" and wasn't able to pin point a good report, found it difficult to know what to look for! Is it possible that you can post a link to a report a link on the forum??

Thank again :-) A huge help :-)
  • Katherine Hayward
    Katherine Hayward Community member Posts: 74 Listener
    Am I glad that someone posted this on the forum! I have quad cerebral palsy, hydrocephalus with a shunt & am registered blind due to my severe eyesight difficulties. I'd also really like to know more about this and would also really appreciate a link posted on on the forum if you have one I'd need to find wheelchair accessible saunas though, where wheeled shower chairs and hoists are available. Looking forward to your reply. Katherine
  • Noah
    Thanks for your reply, not as yet found the reports about CP and sauna benifits that i'm looking for. But will keep you posted, i'm hopeful that the council are going to grant me permision to install one in my home, it going to be so great if they do, as I have found them to be really helpful, and a good enviroment to my daily physio.

I'm sure you can get wheel chair accessible sauna's.

If you can, read my other posts, at the end of the day its all about sharing what we have found works so all of us hopefully can have an improved quality of life and reach our full protential.

All the best

Noah
  • Kruegert9
    Kruegert9 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Here is a link to a limited study that evaluated improvement in peripheral limb circulation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18196282/
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    Hi Noah - How did you get on with this as notice it was first posted 2012

Since specific papers on this are limited - How about drawing evidence from "effects of heat on Cerebral Palsy + muscle spasms," - just a thought 

What were the council's objections?

Best wishes 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I would love to know the outcome of this too @Noah
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Noah
    Thank you for the suggestions.

It was a while ago and I can't remember the exact objections that the council used, but think it was because they thought it would produce a lot of condensation and were worried about any negative effect on the structural fabric of their property.

Anyway we successfully negotiated an agreement after a few emails and I and now have an amazing Sauna that I find very helpful and great way to relax and unwind.

:-)
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    Thanks for the update Noah - most interesting 

That's really awesome :)

Best wishes
  • Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    There is accessible  saunas at woburn centre parcs. I have a moulded shower chair and I  used this in the sauna room. Staff very helpful
  • OlliHannah
    OlliHannah Community member Posts: 30 Connected

There are so many different types of sauna out there now including infrared saunas which, unlike the traditional steam saunas, don't create the same levels of condensation/moisture inside & literally work off a normal 3 pin plug with no plumbing/additional electrical upgrade required

Definitely worth looking at!

• Noah
    Thank you for your comments, very helpful :)

Noah

Brightness