Double pushchair? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Double pushchair?

ade1173
ade1173 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi everyone, wondering if anyone on here can help me out or at least point me in the right direction. We have twins just coming up on 3 yrs who both have CP, spastic diplegia & our Physio has told us that the pushchair we have is not giving them enough support. It is one on a special needs site but it just doesn't keep them seated with enough support & their legs are all over the place in it. We've had an appointment with occupational therapy who basically scratched their heads & admitted they didn't know what they could offer & we have searched the web without much success. All of the ones we can find assume one child is disabled & the other not. The other thing is that it must be accessible for doorways as it's usually a solo trip for either me or my wife & we need to get in & out of shops/doorways etc. We don't drive so rely on the pushchair a lot for any independence. Surely we can't be the only people in this situation so there must be something out there? Any advice or links greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• kingboy25
    kingboy25 Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    Hi Ade
    You certainly aren't the only family with twins who both have C.P. There were three sets at my son's special school. Have you tried wheelchair services? My son is now an adult so I am afraid I am out of touch with children's equipment but I am sure you will get helpful replies soon. I know there is a Mclaran twin but they are not very supportive. One pair of twins at my son's school, when they were bigger had an inline twin wheelchair built by a nearby teaching hospital so that their mother could take them out on their own when needed. Have you considered electric wheelchairs for one or both. I know nightmare scenario with them deciding to go in different directions but that could happen if they were ablebodied, so normal.
  • imogen37
    imogen37 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
    Hi

I have seen Mountain buggies in 2nd hand sites, but not sure if they were manufactured or adapted. I know Activate does a tandem version, both seats suitable for special needs, but you prob have to remorgage a house if you are self funding. I think Otto Bock may also have a double.

My boys are 2 and a bit and only one of them has problems so we use Baby Jogger City Elite. I put a sheet of corex into the back for extra support and Kiddopotamus Buggy liner for supporting the hips/pelvis. Works for us.

x
  • ade1173
    ade1173 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately neither of the twins would have the understanding to operate an electric chair at the moment. I think it was actually wheelchair services that OT sent us to & they admitted defeat! We have seen the maclaren on the web but it's a bit wide to get in & out of places & there's not a great deal of support on it. Ideally
    We are looking for an inline one but so far coming up with nothing.
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Hiya

We have twins, one with CP. We have the Activate Tandem (yes, quite right about the 2nd mortgage) but only one seat is supportive enough for a child with CP who needs postural support - the other is more of a basic sling seat. I have no idea about a pushchair suitable for twins with CP - I'll ask my friend as she has 2 children a few years apart in age, both who have CP. They must have had a pushchair that worked for them when the kids were little (they are at school now).

Good luck in your search

Maria x
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Hiya

I might have found the solution for you! I have joined a group on Facebook where other special needs parents can sell or swap equipment and today someone posted this link: http://disabledgear.com/classifieds/special-duo-rehab-stroller-for-handicapped-children. The stroller is in Hungary and it's pricey but it looks just the job for you guys.

Maria xxx
  • tridi69
    tridi69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi,
    my stroller in the previous post. My brother used car, but the minimum is running, so there's no need to. If you have not found a more appropriate one, we can talk about it. The price target price.

Brightness