piedro orthopedic footwear entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

piedro orthopedic footwear entitlement

Options
Ikeysmum
Ikeysmum Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited November 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Hi all.
Does anyone know whether you are entitled to more than one pair of boots/ shoes at a time?
I have been told my son who has right side hemiplegia can only have one pair and they are essential to his stability and mobility yet he has big black boots for school, that aren't really suitable/ comfortable for the warmer weather or for wearing with casual clothing. I'd be really grateful for a reply...

(NB for further information about footwear for disabled children take a look at this community post on shoes - Scope)

Comments

• mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Options
    Hi hon

We've only ever had one pair given to us by physio, and never sandals or anything usable in summer...

Rubbish isn't it? I've always looked second-hand, either on eBay or on Facebook on Special Needs - Buy sell Swap.

Maria x
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    I have had piedro boots on and off since I was tiny (I'm now 26) and have only ever been given one pair at a time aswell....
    I find it frustrating, as they only give me one style as well, black standard boots. there are so many different styles of piedro boots available!!!
    I understand that the nhs does not have a bottomless money pot, but surely they can stretch to 2 pairs, especially as it's not healthy to wear the same shoes all the time and one pair wear out quicker!!!
    Another thing I can't get my head around is that they will not supply me boots if I wear splints on both feet, (which I now do) despite me saying that I still need the support from the boots while getting used to the second splint, and it's a nightmare getting smart black footwear for work to go over splints.
    I'm lucky in the fact that I can afford to buy another pair myself, and can have the choice of styles, but everyone can....
  • Ikeysmum
    Options
    Thanks Maria
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner but Isaac's been very poorly for the last three weeks and its been pretty much round the clock care...
    Hope things with you are all good
    sarah
    xx
  • Ikeysmum
    Options
    That's interesting... I completely agree with you. It's annoying for my boy to wear his 'school' peidro black boots all day even on weekends... but I never knew you could buy them privately! However he is a width 7 and most styles don't come in that width.. BOOOO!!
    Did you ever have problems with other kids commenting on your footwear if you don't mind my asking, and also, Isaac's not wearing splints but they have said they would like to, but I am wondering how other children react to them. It might be too personal for you to talk about. But I would appreciate your insight.
    Thanks
    x
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I have no problem talking about things, I'm very open when it comes to talking about cp.
    I never really had a problem with people commenting on either my footwear or my splints, can't really remember if anyone did to be honest!! But had they, I'm too strong willed to care! especially when it comes to my splints.
    From an early age I accepted that it was a part of having cp, and therefore a part of me.
    I have often decorated them with stickers and graphics, I figure people are going to look at them so I give them something nice to look at....
    At the moment I have one purple splint and one black splint, on the purple one I have a black union jack and on the black I have a purple union jack. Then on both I have 'Born this way' in red lettering.

chris
  • Footplant
    Footplant Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello,

I work in an orthotics department which provides orthopaedic footwear (e.g. Piedros) to children. The answer is that there is no national standard entitlement for this, it simply depends on what your service's policy is. In my experience, children are only given one pair of shoes due to their rate of growth.

Hope this helps.
  • Belinda-m
    Belinda-m Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I have a 9yr Son with cp,he depends on stability footwear. i have always pushed for 2 pairs a year. Boots for winter and sandals in summer.
    These children have to wear the same pair of footwear constantly, so i insisted that it was too hot in the summer for my son to wear heavy boots everyday.
    I think if you get someone understanding they will agree,
    Goodluck !
  • renacahill
    renacahill Community member Posts: 145 Courageous
    Options
    We've not yet asked for summer sandals but they are reduced often at gilbert and mellish. We might try next summer :-)

Brightness