Paying For A New Piwerchair Via Installments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paying For A New Piwerchair Via Installments

Katherine Hayward
Katherine Hayward Community member Posts: 74 Listener
Hi.
I'm saving for a new powerchair and I'd like to ask anybody here whether they know if it's possible to pay for a new powerchair, or anything from a mobility shop in installments using DLA . I can't afford to pay the full amount upfront. Do I have to notify the DWP or can I just pay the mobility shop directly ?
I'd really appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks

Comments

• rcwallace22
    rcwallace22 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi Kat 81,

No you do not have to notify the DWP. That is what your mobility part of DLA is for.
    Talk to the mobility shop and arrange a payment agreement with them.
    Make sure you choose a shop with a reliable after care service.

Rachael

Admin of Living Positively With Cerebral Palsy

www.livingpositively.healthunlocked.com
  • speedyinpain
    speedyinpain Community member Posts: 52 Listener
    Hi kat81

You can use your DLA mobility entitlement to pay for your powerchair, provided you have not used the mobility part of your DLA for a motability car, You cannot use it for both.

Have you tried the wheelchair voucher scheme if its available in your area? However having said that, I know that they have made some changes recently.

Andrew

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.