prolonged waiting time for NHS referrals — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

prolonged waiting time for NHS referrals

Options
Nikki32
Nikki32 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I was told by a consultant that I needed an Urgent scan. When the appointment came through it was for 6 months time. I was able to sort it by quoting the maximum waiting time and demanding that it get sorted out. However many people would not challenge a prolonged waiting time. Has this happened to anyone else or is it an isolated case? Please let me know.

Comments

• Sam_Toucan
    Sam_Toucan Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    It's definitely not an isolated case. Our son was diagnosed at 2 months and the consultant said it was good to find out early as that enabled early intervention which could potentially be more effective. He made us some referrals and then it was 4 months before anything else happened, our community health centres had no availability. The opthamology appointment was even worse, not occuring until 6 months later, the therapist asked us why we took so long to get tested (!?)

Everything took so long that even though we have just bought a house, we don't want to move into it as it is in a different borough which would require getting referred and waiting again!

Sam
  • Nikki32
    Options
    Hi Sam,

Thank you for letting me know. One thing that has been very helpful in aiding me to enforce my rights was getting my local MSP to take up my case. Perhaps you could do something similar? It was quite a shock to the system but I am learning fast to get anywhere with the NHS there are times when you have to show them that you won't be walked on.

I hope you get the referrals sorted out.

Many Thanks,

Nikki.

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    I agree with sam, not an isolated case... I was reffered by my physio to orthotics, and had to wait 4 months. Unfortunately it is a sign of how stretched the nhs is, and you really have to fight to get what you need when you need it.
    chris
  • Nikki32
    Options

Hello Chris,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It is helpful to know that my experience is not an isolated case.

Nikki.

Brightness