Personal Space — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Personal Space

Options
bilbobaggins
bilbobaggins Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2014 in Autism and neurodiversity
My son is overly affectionate and is constantly cuddling, kissing and touching hair. He doesn't do this as much in school as they have made quite a bit thing out of teaching him about personal space and what is and isn't appropriate, but we can't seem to get him out of it at home. The other 3 children are quite patient with him, but sometimes they (and us) have enough of constantly saying 'don't touch my hair', 'be gentle' etc. I am sure he doesn't intend to be spiteful but he is a very strong boy and is a bit like a bull in a china shop. Does anybody else have this problem?

Comments

• HANDLE
    HANDLE Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Options
    It sounds like he may have proprioceptive issues, meaning he needs reassurance of where his body is in space. How does he sleep? He may appreciate weighted clothing or a weighted blanket. That would give him the sensation of pressure he might be looking for.
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Options
    Our friend's 8 year old girl does this. School tried social stories, which helped. They also gave her a make doll to brush her hair...not really very useful for a boy. But perhaps a toy dog to stroke??
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Hi bilbobaggins, Not sure what age your son is but have you tried giant cushions to squeeze instead of people? Heather's idea of toy dog (or real dog if you could find one that was reliable and tolerant) is a great idea.
  • Doodledawnie
    Doodledawnie Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    That's a great idea toy dog as my son has this even in his classroom even kiss boys and girls in there face
  • lisalouise999
    lisalouise999 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    I think looking at some stimming toys online would help. As an adult I have putty which you mould and remould, and a squeezy ball. Explore which sensations he is craving in particular by trying different toys. There are loads available and even oral chewy ones.

Brightness