any ideas? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

any ideas?

milo
milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
I currently have a standard wheelchair from wheelchair services that is ideal for most things. However we do a fair bit of long walks with the dogs and hiking/camping. With that in mind I want to get a very light second hand chair. I've looked at various websites etc but prices are too high for my budget as I've had to stop working and there's still no sign of any PIP payment. Does anyone have any ideas or know of a chair for sale? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Nothing is likely to be cheap when it comes to specialized mobility equipment. Maybe there is some grant money somewhere I'm not sure.....

But have you seen http://www.mountaintrike.com/

They are amazing, I really want one, sounds like one could also be ideal for you as you mention hiking/camping? Try and have a go in one if you can, they are amazing, for off road use.

Keep us posted :-)
  • milo
    Just looked at mountain trike and might put it on the Xmas list (not sure Santa's that generous!) it's a real shame that even everyday rigid chairs are so expensive yet if you watch clips from the US, everyone seems to have them
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    You might be able to find a bargain on ebay! I nearly bought a mountain trike on there myself not that long ago! I first discovered the mountain trike at a special disability exhibition in Exeter about 2010. Was great, learnt so much about so many different things to do with disability aids etc, would like to go to one again, but not been able to find such a show again. Great for networking and probably a great place to promote the forum to! :-)
  • milo
    Am always dubious about big purchases on eBay, wouldn't mind going to an expo if they do one in the north east at some point though

Brightness