Help applying for Blue badge? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help applying for Blue badge?

sarahxoxo
sarahxoxo Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I wondered how I go about applying for a blue Badge in the UK. I did not pass last time I applied. Even though I have a mild form on Cerebral palsy which will not get better. I use no wheel chair or aids.

I don't leave the house often because I'm getting more tired from walking. when I am walking long distance round shops I stop when I'm tired and often lean on things. The pressure from walking so much is what causes me pain and I often fall over when walking with friends who can walk faster than me.

The reason I did not get a blue badge is because I can walk long distances sometimes but it varies. one minute I have loads of energy and then the next day I can't even be bothered to walk round a shop with the aid of the trolley.

my response from the assessor was to come back once I have some walking aids. I don't want them. I want to manage my condition with out aids. I want the choice to walk less when I'm tired. I am getting fed up of them not understanding that just because Im not in a wheel chair does not mean I'm not in pain.

Any advice will be great. I have little evidence to give them as I no longer see a pediatrician or physio as I am 21. I will ask my doctor to write a more detailed account of what my problems are.

I know I need to focus on telling them its not going to get better but age has made the pain worse. I am more stiff and dont run around like a 12 year old.

Comments

• TANYAFIELDING
    TANYAFIELDING Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    I had a similar experience. Just walked down the hospital corridor and got turned down. Few years later I am deffinately worse but can't face re applying.
  • VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    They are really clamping down on giving out the Blue Badges now which is a real shame as they can be such a lifeline for many disabled people. It seems silly that they are only interested in the worst mobility cases and not about preventing disabilities from getting worse.

I think getting your GP to write a clear account of how bad your condition can get in regards to your mobility is a great idea.

Fingers crossed that they change their minds, good luck!
  • Stickyfingers Stuff
    Stickyfingers Stuff Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    i was refused a blue badge when i first applied too, even though i relied on a wheelchair for outdoor mobilisation! i got one eventually as i qualified for the higher rate mobility allowance of DLA - i can only suggest that you reapply when you can but focus on what you CAN'T do on a regular basis rather than what you CAN do sometimes - i know this goes against the grain of keeping a positive attitude but it's sometimes necessary

my other advice would be to use mobility aids - i see my scooter and stroller as ways of extending my range and saving energy - if getting somewhere takes all your energy you will have none left to enjoy what you do when you get there, so use aids to get there and park the aid - the aid is a means to an end, a facilitator

try your local Shopmobility scheme - you can use their scooters and see how they suit you, get used to one without having to spend a lot (they are often free or very cheap to use)

my own scooter is a small lightweight one which can be taken apart and loaded into a car - brilliant - if i haven't the energy to load it myself it means i haven't the energy to go out - i get into lots of places cheap and often get to take an attendant/carer in for free too

..... and get a Radar key for disabled toilets, there's rarely a queue!

good luck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.