Help requested from someone who has Cerebral Palsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help requested from someone who has Cerebral Palsy

BarbaraNeill
BarbaraNeill Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2014 in Research and opportunities
Hi, I am a writer (and hypnotherapist), from Maidstone in Kent. I am planning a novel in which the main character has Cerebral Palsy. I plan to present the main character in a very positive way in which his disability doesn't hold him back, while acknowledging the difficulties he experiences. I would be very grateful if I could make contact with someone who has Cerebral Palsy, who would be willing to help me with my research into the condition and to help me to gain some insight, (albeit in a small way), into how it feels to experience life from the point of view of someone who is living with Cerebral Palsy. With grateful thanks, Barbara Neill

Comments

• milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    edited September 2014
    Hi, did you have any particular form of CP in mind? it's just that the condition varies dramatically person to person. To give you an idea, I have spastic hemiplegia and could walk until fairly recently but now permanently use a wheelchair, whereas someone else may have a form that affects their speech or require 24 hour care.
  • BarbaraNeill
    Hi Milo,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The character in my story is able to walk and works in an office. His speech is affected to some extent but, frankly, I would welcome anyone who is happy to talk to me about how they personally have been affected, with regard to experiences growing up, how they have been treated by other children during their formative years, etc. I really want to develop a character who is thoroughly believable so any help with that would be very much appreciated.

Now for the sixty four million dollar question, Milo. Do you think you might be the person I'm looking for?

Kind regards,
    Barbara
  • milo
    Hi Barbara, if I give you a brief overview then we can see if it is the kind of stuff you are after. I was born with left side hemiplegia and my left leg is about 3 inches shorter than the right. As a kid I had numerous splints and plaster casts in an attempt to correct it. I've had 2 tendon lengthening surgeries. Although CP isn't technically progressive, in my case the damage done by poor posture etc has meant that at 39 I had to start using a wheelchair permanently and now have arthritis and a spinal curvature. In addition, I had polymiositis as a child which causes muscle wastage. Having said that, I attended state school and university. Beyond that, feel free to ask any questions you have.
  • BarbaraNeill
    Thank you very much, Milo. That's very kind of you.

I'm off on holiday on Saturday and will be returning a week later. Would it be OK if we could email and/or Skype when I come back? Then I can tell you more about the story I have in mind, and if you're happy to help I'll be delighted.

Thanks again. I'm very grateful to you.

Kind regards,
    Barbara
  • milo
    Hi Barbara, that's absolutely fine. If you get in touch through the forum when you get back, I'll give you an email address you can contact me on.
  • BarbaraNeill
    Thank you, Milo. I shall look forward to that.
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi Barbara, You may be interested in listening online to some life stories of people with CP on the British Library Sound Archive website http://sounds.bl.uk/Oral-history/Disability-Voices best wishes, Alex
  • BarbaraNeill
    Thank you very much, Alex. That's very helpful.
  • milo
    edited September 2014
    Hi Barbara, if you want to contact me about life with CP, you can email me
  • jdgh1950
    jdgh1950 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Barbara

As you probably know CP covers a huge range of degrees of physical impairment.

I myself have CP but it is relatively slight in that I have been able to go to university and have a reasonably normal working life. I am also able to look after myself more or less unaided except for certain jobs that involve steps or ladders.

One of my main problems is that some people assume that because of my physical disability, that I am a bit simple, that does annoy me because I have 2 Degrees.

In short Barbara your character with CP can be affected as much or as little by their CP as you wish, in my case I have had a reasonably normal life except for some mobility issues.

Hope this helps.
  • BarbaraNeill
    Thank you very much. It certainly does help. I have now written the first draft of my novel but I am working on a sequel. Editing of both will start in the new year.

I hear what you're saying about the assumptions that you must be unintelligent. In the sequel, I hope to dispel some of the myths about disability, by giving the main character an able-bodied love interest, as well as gaining the post as General Manager of a company.

Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.