MRI scan — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MRI scan

TANYAFIELDING
TANYAFIELDING Community member Posts: 18 Listener
I have recently had an MRI scan and the neurologist was surprised to find it was completely normal despite my lifetime diagnosis of CP. He is going to have a chat with a pediatrician next time they are working together. Has anyone else been through the MRI scanner?
Good news no sign of senile dementia or mad cow disease! Wonder if they got the right patient?

Comments

• Lib
    Lib Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Interesting! My son has had an MRI in the past and the results were consistent with CP. Maybe, you should find out more?
    Lib
  • Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Although MRI Scans are commonly used to aid diagnosis of cerebral palsy do not be surprised is there is nothing on the scan to completely support this. It is estimated that approximately 10% of MRI scans will NOT illustrate evidence to support the, usually correct, diagnosis of cerebral palsy.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    That's interesting Rocky, do you have any further information on this? Do you have any advice on how to request an MRI scan on the NHS? I feel that it might help me in getting the right treatment for several injuries I have due to falls. I'm not keen on sugary, my osteopath has said he would like to see some scan results before knowing the best course of treatment. Many thanks in advance
  • Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Noah, There has been quite a lot of research demonstrating that brain injury which could lead to a diagnosis of cerebral palsy may only be detected in approximately 90% of MRI Scans of the brain - usually those done on young children to aid or support the diagnosis.

I doubt if the NHS would suggest a brain scan to determine why you are falling over a lot but they may. It may be worth talking to your doctor about a referral to a neurologist. Obviously as we grow older, we are more inclined to fall and there could be a number of reasons for this. I know you said you see an osteopath but I wonder if you have also discussed this with your GP or hospital consultant as they may be able to help and send you for some scans. I can understand why your osteopath would want this type of information before suggesting further treatment but I presume you are seeing the osteopath on a private basis so any scans for their use would have to be paid for privately - hence talking it through with your doctor. There could be a medical or physical reason for falling and it may also be worth asking for an Occupational Therapy consultation to ensure you are walking as best you can and also to assess your environment. For example minor adjustments to your home/office may help reduce the risk of falling. Hope this helps.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Thank you Rocky for your reply, probably didn't make myself very clear. The MRI scan that I would like is to inspect damage I have incurred to my body as a result of falling many times! Injuries to knees, and ankle that have never properly got better. I Normally fall as result of lack of concentration, unfamiliar surroundings or being over confident when I should have used my sticks! I did have a Scan of my brain, when I was a child, think it was called a CAT scan remember having to go in a large washing machine like machine! As far as I can remember, it was able to identify the areas of brain damage, mainly in the motor function areas consistent with CP. Thanks again, you are clearly very knowledgeable.
  • NSM
    NSM Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Tanya, I have had a few MRIs. What my neurologist told me was that if your brain injury occurs around birth, your brain sort of rewires itself so that there is no trace of the CP on the scan. Really quite interesting.
  • benjy
    benjy Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I have to go for one tomorrow so I wonder if they will say the same about the cp
  • milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    I had an MRI to rule out MS in April and the consultant said there were inconclusive signs of CP damage but he was happy that it was due to the brain rewiring mentioned in the previous post and that my physical problems were entirely consistent with CP. Seems to me that there are a lot of maybes and possibles when it comes to CP, especially in adults.
  • TANYAFIELDING
    TANYAFIELDING Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    I have now had a further letter from the consultant. Having discussed my case with a pediatrician they both feel the complete lack of visible abnormalities is unusual and wonders if I could have dopa responsive dystonia which is treatable. He will discus it with me when he next sees me. I am booked in with his neurophysio on Friday for more Botox so I will see what happens. One more drug to add to the increasing cocktail!

Brightness