Music - Helps movement ? Helps everyday tasks? - Like eating? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music - Helps movement ? Helps everyday tasks? - Like eating?

Noah
Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
edited August 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Do you find music helps you move? And find those connections in the brain?

Would also be interested to hear from any parent who has perhaps noticed if playing music helps their child with movement? Is performing a task like eating easier with or without music? It is just something that interests me greatly how music can stimulate the brain and make those connections easier.

When I was swimming the other day, there was music playing, and I really believe it helped me swim better and move muscles that I normally can not feel, or move well. It would make a very interesting study for someone, music and swimming for people with CP or similar movement disorders. I'm going to buy a music player that works in water and see where this takes me.........

Would also be interested to hear from anyone who has completed any research on this or knows of any reliable studies.

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    I'm trying to decide which music player will be best for use while swimming, has anyone got any suggestions? I'm looking at the http://www.athleteshop.co.uk/finis-neptune-underwater-mp3-player?gclid=COq6oOKIm8ECFYsEwwodDEEAcw
  • MrsAmyD
    MrsAmyD Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I'm not sure if I personally put this down to CP or just my being a musical person but I always find music really motivating. When I was in high school [confession time!] I used to sneak my walkman under my shirt in class to play music while I was writing essays because it helped me think better. I couldn't concentrate in complete silence because I was too distracted but music gave me something to focus on so I used to play it all the time. Same goes for simple things like cleaning my teeth. I'm not great at time keeping because I struggle with maths so I find that if I play a song that's around 2 to 3 minutes long while I brush, when the song is over I know I've been brushing them for long enough.
  • SeanRyan
    SeanRyan Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    Music Is Medicine in my house

Brightness