Calling all lovely disabled parents — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Calling all lovely disabled parents

Options
wobblyjellyfish
wobblyjellyfish Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Heya! We are two disabled parents of two beautiful young children and we would really like to make friends with fellow disabled parents, have a laugh together and support each other through life's many struggles. We would really like our children to connect with other children who have disabled parents so they can all grow up with confidence from having friends who they have things in common with.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Nadine and David

Comments

• Sharon40
    Sharon40 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi. I'm not sure if this site is for me, so you can advise me about that. I am disabled and haven't had a baby yet but would like to make connections with women who are already mothers.
  • TANYAFIELDING
    TANYAFIELDING Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    I have CP and 2 boys aged 13 and 15. How old is your off spring? I am not sure if being disabled has made any difference to my kids as they have grown up looking at my funny walk. Parenting is always hard work. As the oldest is now a strapping young man I can get him to do the heavy lifting. This should last as long as he needs lifts everywhere.
  • Nuala Watt
    Nuala Watt Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Options
    Hi Nadine and David - could I possibly chat to you? My boyfriend and I are keen to have a baby and we would like to talk to people who have done this, if possible. We live in Glasgow, so physically meeting up would be difficult, but it would be good to talk.

all best

Nuala
  • Cally
    Cally Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have a condition called ataxia and also have a wee boy. Looking forward to chatting. X
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello. Is everybody still up for chatting. What's going on? Handling challenging behaviour with coordination difficulties, and/or strength issues due to older child or muscle weakness. Everybody has got a load of perfectly sane effective solutions and disabled aikido skills and strategy lined up and you are bursting to tell me about them right!? 

Hi. I'm Kathy. I live with my husband and 2 children, 12&10 . We share a lot of sensory sensitivity, some visual impairment, ASD, mental health challenges, brain damage, extraordinariness, geekery and random singalongs. Today my daughter was lovely apart from the time she slipped a few steps, so I scooped her sad self up to comfort her which worked for a minute and then I panicked when she nuzzles like she's going to bit and she starts biting me, the too of my head, but she's on my knee, on the bottom step. How are you? 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there! 
    Not sure if I'm lovely heehee but I am a parent who is disabled. I am a wheelchair user due to chronic pain and weakness. I have a lovely 9 year old daughter. 

I have only used a wheelchair since my daughter was 6 but had milder issues before. We've done some things differently and we chose to only have one kid but otherwise.... Family life is family life! 
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Loving the geekery and random singalongs.... 
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    This -  https://www.centreformentalhealth.org.uk/briefing-51-long-stay-rehabilitation-services  - about missing support/inclusion trapping people in long term institutional care. I scrape along the other side fantasising about long term institutional care, just for me, but I don't really want to be there. Or some kind of family sheltered housing via prayer or magic wand. If not for me then others. Or the most​ committed group of friends. Or volunteer/funded somehow multiskilled in home nursing care and professional organising. Etc etc.

Some kind of patchwork community work that looks at meeting all need in a set area via multidisciplinary teams. GPs, health visitor/community nursing, advice work, occupational health and recycling and veggie growing, all round innovative inclusion that came to you. 
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    Much geekery and random singalongs have been going on in the meantime. :-) 
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    Got a push notification that other disabled parents are waiting to hear from me... Lol. We know that they're working though! 
  • Kirstyp
    Kirstyp Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hey I'm a recently separated mother to a boy Riley who is 4. I have arthritis in my hips and spine and possibly my knees. My little boy keeps me going and Understands that mummy can't always play with him on the floor or when he is on his bike keep up and he is very patient with me 

Brightness