Suitable footwear for AFOs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Suitable footwear for AFOs

Af01
Af01 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Can anyone recommend suitable shoes/ trainers to wear with AFOs?
My 3 year old has just got his first pair & I'm struggling a little to find footwear that isn't 2 sizes too big.

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for your post on the forum - Yes it is very common challenge to find suitable footwear for AFO's. The very best footwear is Piedro http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/Shop/Sale/afo-footwear/9.aspx but quite expensive. Maybe the NHS can help with funding? You may also find the following posts of interest. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/25415/what-its-like-to-wear-afo039s-any-tips-or-advice Please let us know how you get on. Do you mind me asking how your 3 year old is getting on with his walking?
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I agree with Noah, finding shoes for AFOs can be a challenge to say the least!!!
    I've been wearing AFOs since a very young age, and it's more difficult when you get to needing school shoes or smart shoes for work etc.
    I wear piedro boots with my AFOs, they are great as they open really far down the boots, making it easier to get on. They also come in lots of different width fittings and have plenty of space around the toe area, which I find is one of the most important things when fitting AFOs in. Because of the different width fittings you don't always need to go for the specific AFO boots, nor do you always need to go more than one size bigger. There are always lots of children's size piedros on Ebay which is helpful, as they are quite expensive.
    I also wear skate type trainers or walking boots with my AFOs as they have they go nice and wide and have plenty of space around the toe area.
    I always shop around for shoes, taking my splints with me and try lots of different styles. As a general rule, I find that as long as the shoe are nice and wide, especially with a wide round toe and removable insoles, I don't need to go more than one size bigger.
    Hope this helps!
    chris
  • Af01
    Af01 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your responses.
    We went out today and bought a pair of basket ball trainers in a size bigger then he normally wears.
    My son usually wears Piadro boots but they are a little too heavy for him to walk in and I have found that his feet catch on the little ridge of the shoe.
    When he's not wearing he's AFOs he now wears a pair of Trulife boots which are lighter, Bristish made and apparently cheaper.
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Just thought I'd tell people about some great boots I've found on Ebay.... They are made by a uk company called County, and are very similar to Piedro boots.
    There are various sizes available (both child and adult) in both Velcro and lace ups.
    They are really good to get over AFOs and are extremely hard wearing, mine were an absolute bargain at £19.99!!!!

Brightness