Care homes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Care homes

Options
Thankful
Thankful Community member Posts: 2 Listener
We hear so much about bad care with prosecutions and real brutality but rarely about the good. My daughter, now in her 40s but still young, fun loving and naive is in a placement that gives her every opportunity for a fulfilled life with the utmost care and loving support. The journey there has over the years been filled with anxiety. I just wish every parent of a LD child could share this opportunity

Comments

• EllaB
    EllaB Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    I agree. There are a lot of really great professional carers out there, too, who are completely committed to their job. We shouldn't let horrific cases like Winterbourne allow us to tarnish all care situations with the same brush. My brother has moved into a lovely residential care home in his late 50's and he's really bonded with the care home manager - so much so that my mum now calls her his second mum!
  • mushla
    mushla Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    My son has moved into a care home and, while the staff have a lovely attitude towards all the residents, they are badly let down by the poor quality of training they receive, particularly from health professionals. I think it is high time Carers were given a nationally-set standard of training, with a national body to oversee it and give them creditation instead of the piece-meal, scrappy 'hour here and half-hour there' system used at the moment. That way, both they and disabled people would benefit from a truly professional and recognised service.
  • Thankful
    Thankful Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    My daughter suffered real trauma at a previous home. What had been a stable place with carers and residents she knew was enlarged with rotating staff and a respite bed. She never knew who would be there and became acutely depressed and then quite violent and disruptive. She is autistic with low ability to communicate which was the problem. Now we have found a home with just two places, a wonderful, caring team, fully qualified and committed (just two, because there is a vacancy at the moment) and an amazing fulfilled life. She couldn't be happier. This is what I really call a home! I just wish every young person could be so lucky

Thankful
  • EllaB
    EllaB Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    I'm so pleased things have worked out for your daughter. My brother also has difficulty communicating, so I know how much that adds to the anxiety of the situation. So good that you managed to find somewhere lovely for her :-)

Brightness