clothing or techniques to assist with toiletting. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

clothing or techniques to assist with toiletting.

Options
kaybee
kaybee Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am looking for suggestions that could help with managing clothing after toileting. I am working with a young person who has CP. They can lower their clothing and transfer from their wheelchair to toilet, but have difficulty transferring back and pulling up clothing, at the same time: as they are holding onto rails to support their balance and can't let go to pull up their clothing. I have looked at things like elasticated braces and elasticated waists but no success so far. Does anyone have any suggestions or techniques or equipment that we could consider, please?

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Kaybee,

There is some good information on the Disabled Living Foundation website about clothing and equipment for easier dressing, which you can find here: http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/scenario.php?csid=405.

If possible, he should have an OT assessment before purchasing any special clothing as an OT may be able to recommend something and adapted clothing can be quite expensive. They will also be the experts in regards to suggesting techniques for him as they will be able to assess him in person.

Scope Helpline
  • chrisbradleyuk
    chrisbradleyuk Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    as a dizzy person i manage transfers in the loo alone. i always make sure my pants and trews (elasticated) are above the knee, i am able to stand for a short time, long enough to hoist up to waist, final adjustments when reseated.

Brightness