Flying with child with cp — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Flying with child with cp

Options
joden1
joden1 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
I would love to take my son abroad but its scares the hell out of me taking him on plane with all the stress etc
Has anyone took their child with severe cp on a plane before?
josie x

Comments

• chloescarlett2012
    chloescarlett2012 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I took my 22 month old (at the time) to Majorca this August. We flew with Thomas Cook. She has severe cp along with epilepsy, reflux, vision impairment and unsafe sallow. If I'm honest I was petrified of taking her but she absolutely amazed me with how brilliant she was. I got a letter from her nurses stating her medicines so we could take them in our hand luggage. Gave them to her just before we boarded and she slept the majority of the way. Had a little bit of moaning when landing. I think because of her ears popping. The staff were brilliant also. We told them as we boarded she was epileptic and had her rescue medicine with us. The captain specifically took her wheelchair buggy down to the hold and got it back out for us when landed. In regards to the holiday itself I highly recommend 'the exagon' hotel in Majorca. The staff was AMAZING cooked and pureed her own breakfast lunch and dinner. Also had a indoor pool that had a disabled seat to get in and out of (although she was too small). All in all was a fantastic experience and she loved it. She did many firsts while there ie. Kicking in the pool, dancing to music. Will be taking her the same place for 2 weeks instead next year. Hope this helps xx
  • Sneezy
    Sneezy Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    My son doesn't have Cp but he has profound learning difficulties and autism. Each year we go to the Canaries. It's Four and a half hours away and I can't take my eyes off him for a second as he will be touching the hair of the person in front, trying to tickle their arm, licking/sniffing/tapping their head rest, trying to watch their tablet device.. On every flight I burst into tears cos it's so stressful and I am exhausted (and we only do daytime flights)but...we keep going and we keep trying to make it slightly better and slightly easier
    Please bare in mind that it won't be a holiday like all the other families are having and sometimes it hardly feels anything like a holiday at all but if you keep persevering, you learn ways to make it a bit easier each time. And as long as you are realistic about what your family can actually do, then it does feel like a wonderful achievement. Just don't book the seats in front of us!!
  • flower
    flower Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    my Daughter has Cp along with epilepsy. We go away every year and absolutely love it! you get special assistance at the airport which means you get on the plane before everyone else and they take really good care of you, same when you reach your destination. Go for it, book it and don't look back. Enjoy x
  • joden1
    Options
    Hi flower

Where do you take her ? Any recommendations

Thanks

Josie
  • flower
    flower Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi, we been to Jamaica when she was one years old...this was really lovely. We go Tenerife for Xmas every year except this year we went lanzorote for Xmas and New Years. Cyprus, Spain. holiday village, holidays are good and fun.
    Have you any ideas as to where you would like to go? Xx
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, if you request special assistance it really helps. My experience of using special assistance to fly from Bristol to Rome recently was amazing, they got me and my luggage to where i needed to be, without any struggling. You ride on a special golf buggy with your own personal porter, they also help you on and off the plane, and drive you right up to the plane. If you communicate all your needs to the airport when you book your tickets they are normally only too happy to accommodate. including assistance while on the plane and special seating etc.
  • RachaelStamper
    RachaelStamper Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, have you heard about Tryb4UFly? It provides disabled adults and children the opportunity to try seating and transfer options in a realistic fuselage setting before they fly.

With a trained Occupational Therapist you select and try equipment that is right for you to reduce your concerns preflight, and help you decide if flying is a viable means of transport for you.

There's a centre at QEF Mobility Services in Carshalton, Surrey and The William Merritt Disabled Living Centre in Leeds.

http://tryb4ufly.co.uk/

You can also rent any equipment so you wont even have to buy it. Hope this might help!
  • joden1
    Options
    HI

We would be happy just going to Spain first, any recommendations?

thanks

josie x
  • Nash
    Nash Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I took my son to Tenerife last year. He is 16 and wheelchair bound. Everyone was excellent and couldn't have been more helpful. We had a drs letter to allow us to take his feeds on the plane (he is PEG fed) and we took 500mls on. Security were great and just patted him down. They took a feed away for testing and brought it back within 5 mins. We got 2 choose your own seats free and an extra 10 kg of medical luggage allowance free( Thomas Cook). We also booked a 4 point harness for the seat on the plane as he cannot sit upright. First on the plane last off. Booked a wheelchair accessible taxi to and from the airport (through Thomas Cook special assistance). Everyone in Tenerife were fantastic and couldn't have done more to our holiday a success. I really wish we hadn't waited so long to take him abroad as he was so relaxed and he seemed to love every minute. Xx
  • joden1
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for that , it does make me feel abit braver! 

Can i ask where did you find accessible accomadation?

Thank you 

Josie 
  • Nash
    Options
    I looked at where I wanted to go then looked at street map to have a look around. For hotels I looked at enable holidays. They have a good selection of hotels that are accessible and the one we stayed at was on their website. Our travel agent was really good as well and rang the hotel to find out door widths etc. x
  • SuzieN
    SuzieN Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I would love to take our little girl with us to Italy, we have in the past, but it is impossible as accommodation is unsuitable. We usually drive which is not a problem but I like the idea of Tenerife!!
  • Nash
    Options
    Tenerife is fab. We went to Las Americas and it is pretty much flat, lots of shops, pubs and restaurants. We were able to push our wheelchair bound 16yr old around for 10 days. We even managed to take him swimming, which was amazing as he has no control of his body and is heavy to lift. Xx
  • maximus
    maximus Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    www.disabledholidays.com is a very good website for finding accessible accommodation abroad and in the UK

Brightness