Drooling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drooling

flower
flower Community member Posts: 9 Listener
My Daughter has cerebral palsy and drools constantly. Im considering having her saliva glands removed. Has anyone experienced this with their chidden or themselves. What was the outcome?

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hi, you probably have all this information already but there is a factsheet on the Scope website on Drooling http://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/diagnosis/drooling

regards
    Scope Helpline

• NikiM
    NikiM Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    We had the same issue and or daughter is now 10. We never opted for surgery but do use a medication called Broflex Syrup 3 times a day which has helped.
  • kingboy25
    kingboy25 Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    My son had two of the salivary glands reversed and after a settling in period it was very successful.  My friend's daughter had all hers done and it left her mouth rather dry at times. I would advise getting two done to start with and see how it goes. 
  • flower
    Thank you for this information. My daughter is due an operation on the 1st April to have four glands removed but I am a little concerned this will leave her with a dry mouth. I think just the patroid glands redirected would be enough. We're currently using Hyi patch behing the ear but this burns the skin and leaves her with a sore. Does the broflex syrup dry the mouth too much? Thanks again
  • Domdi
    Domdi Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I have the same problem with the hyocine patch causing soreness behind ear so he pulls them off.do you get the broflex syrup through your doctor or consultant?
  • NikiM
    NikiM Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Broflex syrup (Trihexylphenydryl) doesn't seem to dry her mouth. We had it prescribed by her neurodisability consultant
  • flower
    Thanks niki M, I will give this ago x
  • Webbis
    Webbis Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    We've had good results with six-monthly Botox injections to control drooling.
  • Domdi
    Domdi Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    He dosent want Botox after having it for his legs.
  • dazphelps
    dazphelps Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi , my son who is 4 who has CP dribbled a lot , we have since found out he has epilepsy as well , since we started his meds for epilepsy his drooling has ceased. the only trouble is the meds have made him a different child , aggressive , emotional and very tired so we are coming off them. i suppose what i am saying is we always thought his drooling was his CP but it looks like it could be because he was having lots of little fits that were causing his face to droop becasue of his CP 

Brightness