neglegence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

neglegence

Options
joden1
joden1 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
HI all
Has anybody had a hospital admit negligence? the hospital where my son was born admitted in july after 9 years we are currently waiting on interim payment.
i would like to know what sort of things you brought for your child and your family to make life easier etc?
thanks x

Comments

• Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    I think only you and your family/son can answer this question as each individual will have different needs so only you can decide on what equipment and services your son needs and what will help with his condition/care and the family needs. If you have been through a clinical negligence claim your solicitor should have put together a list of things your son will need during his lifetime to help assess costs and damages so it may be worth talking in more detail to your solicitor to see what needs and equipment they have assessed.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Joden, well done for getting that far. I imagine it's a difficult place to be in, great that you are getting the help you need - but also another tricky step to go through in coming to terms with what happened.

I think once things are finalised, your son will have someone who oversees exactly what he can/can't have, but of course you will be consulted, so it's good to have some ideas. If money was no object we would love a jacuzzi bath, and a body drier :)

If you're in the north, it might be worth calling into this excellent exhibition: http://www.disabledliving.co.uk/Kidz/North
  • flower
    flower Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Carers to help, clothes, toys, car, house alarm that lets of a beep if the front door opens etc, holidays for you and family, trampoline, swings etc for garden. things like this would be nice x
  • NikiM
    NikiM Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    Hi we are in interim payment stage now just waiting for final settlement. We have used funds for care and equipment that has been advised by our experts and that is important as without their approval you may not be able to spend the funds. In the last year we have put together a regime of care, employed a case manager, paid for therapies including private physio and SLT, employed an SEN expert to support me in getting my daughter into the right secondary school and paid for carers to join us on holiday. We are also looking at a new wheelchair and walker. Also they will let you claim back some of the funds you have spent for your past care and case management at this stage which can help if like me you have given up work at to get through all of this legal quagmire! Your solicitor will be able to advise you.
  • joden1
    Options
    Thank you for your advice . Can I ask did you move house ? Finding the whole process stressful .

Josie x
  • NikiM
    NikiM Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    We haven't yet but will do after final settlement. I know other families who have because their existing accommodation was so inadequate.

It is incredibly stressful not least because it takes you back to a time you would rather forget.

Good luck!

X
  • Gemms
    Gemms Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    My son is 3 yrs old in March and we had the interim payment mid-late last year. Like you I found it all quite stressful although we are obviously lucky to have this early on. We moved firstly, to rented accommodation at the moment didn't want to rush into buying our permanent home before knowing what is it we really need from a home for him. We brought a wav (which I call the bus, it's big). We've also brought equipment he needs such as hoists, changing tables etc as well as sensory things. I think the majority of money goes towards carers and therapists, our monthly outgoing for Harrison is £8000 per month, it's completely crazy. It's a lot of changes that happen quite quickly once you have a interim payment, you should have a case manager that will help you with literally everything x
  • joden1
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for sharing with me how it's going for you . Is there any chance I could pm you to chat further ?

Thanks

Josie x
  • Gemms
    Gemms Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi Jodie,

Of course you can, I'm on Facebook my name is Gemma Ives.

Xx

Brightness