Befriending services — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Befriending services

Options
Diana Varakina
Diana Varakina Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone!

I am a final year student and one of my projects is on making sure that more people with disabilities can attend social and cultural events (festivals, concerts, cinema, comedy nights or just a simple dinner with some live music on the background).

The idea is simple - to connect people with disabilities with carers/volunteers who has same interests, hobbies, maybe favorite events or venues, so they can go to the event together. 
What do you think? Would anyone be interested in taking part of this project as a volunteer or a customer? 

Also, would anyone advise on what types of disabilities are entitled for a carer? Have you tried yourself to buy tickets to an event where they provided/rejected a personal assistance ticket?

I would really appreciate if someone could get back to me.

If the project win the competition, it will receive funding and might well turn-up to be a REAL thing.

Many thanks and have a lovely day!
Diana

Comments

• Martin Emery
    Martin Emery Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    Hi Diana.  The Befriending idea is a fantastic one,  Parents of children with disabilities, and Carers of disabled adults do tend to get distanced from others and become stuck in a rut.

I would be really interested in more info on this project.  As both a volunter and customer.

Tickets for events is getting tricky,  the equality act means you cant treat people different, so more and more events are making a carer pay full price too.  Read my blog on how United turned my family away recently.  Im taking up a fight to get things changed, and met a few supporters along the way.  https://utddiscriminate.wordpress.com/
  • Diana Varakina
    Diana Varakina Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Martin,

Thank you  for sharing your blog entry with me. It is really sad that such well-known venue is not able to accommodate whole families together. 
    Thank you for referring me to the equality act, I will have a closer look at it. 
    I cannot believe that events make carers to pay the full price! Do you know anyone who experienced it? Would be great if I could get in touch with them.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,
    Diana
  • Martin Emery
    Martin Emery Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    Hi check this link out. Manchester City have a policy where carers get in free unless ur a carer for a child under 14 http://www.mcfc.co.uk/tickets-and-seasoncards/access-information
  • Emma
    Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Martin, it would be great if you could add this as a tip in our Days Out section: https://community.scope.org.uk/tips/days-out

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.