Joystick mount — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joystick mount

Options
seauser
seauser Community member Posts: 3 Listener
HI all, looking for suggestions on a joystick. Currently whenever the wheelchair gets close to a table the joystick gets in the way preventing the wheelchair from getting up close to the table. I have had a look at swingaway retractable joystick mounts but had no luck. The wheelchair is a an enigma with a VSI joystick which fits into a square bracket. Thanks!

Comments

• Katherine Hayward
    Katherine Hayward Community member Posts: 74 Listener
    edited March 2015
    Options
    swing away joystick mounts are useful for getting up close to tables. just a suggestion, but have you thought about maybe altering the size / shape of the joystick control? replacing the covering on the top of the joystick with for example, a small ball shape or something with a smaller area like a bar shape or a circle so you can get in closer under the table? maybe there's something you could do other than a joystick-related thing. How high is your cushion? I also encounter problems when getting under tables. I have a high jay3 cushion (9.5 cm) which is better for me than a low one, but low seat cushions might be easier for getting under tables, the other things is, what footrests do you have? I'm asking because for example I find swing away ones bulky and they bump into the table and I'm never as far under the table as I should be. maybe change the angle/. height of your footrest?
    Could you get a swing away joystick as a special order for your chair? try contacting the manufacturers
    This is for a different chair (Quickie Samba) but you could try it out.it says it fits a square bracket. I just googled "VSI wheelchair control, square bracket" if you want to search more.
    Good luck!

http://epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/products/1669/sunrise-medical-quickie-vsi-swing-away-joystick-mount.htm

• seauser
    seauser Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Great, thanks for the helpful advice Katherine - that is useful to know! Funnily enough, the link you kindly sent is one we tried! Unfortunately it still protruded quite a way out and didn't quite fit the bracket but otherwise would have been perfect. I really appreciate your feedback! All the best

Brightness