Mother's Day — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mother's Day

Options
EllaB
EllaB Community member Posts: 26 Connected
edited February 2015 in Autism and neurodiversity
This will be the first Mother's Day my brother, who has Down's Syndrome, is no longer living with my parents. I know my mother will be feeling it, after 59 years of caring for him, and I'd really like to do something nice to mark the day. Has anyone got any ideas for a special day out I could arrange for them - or us as a family? He has reduced mobility, so can't walk very far.

Comments

• Hannah_RosyandBo
    Hannah_RosyandBo Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hi Ella,

I have a daughter with learning disabilities and while she still lives with me - she's only eight! But one day I really do hope she can live independently. So I imagine in some ways your lovely mum will be really glad he is somewhere supporting his needs and she is also able to have some time to herself again after 59 years. Not that it won't feel very strange to not have you brother around anymore. So I imagine very mixed feelings.

Perhaps if you arrange for flowers from your brother on Mother's Day and then would they both enjoy a trip to a local garden or National Trust property if the weather is kind to us all on the day?

Hat's off to your mum and you too - for being such a loving family to each other!

Happy Mother's Day!

Hannah xxx

• Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Options
    a day out sounds like a lovely idea 
  • EllaB
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. Really like the suggestion of sending flowers from my brother. That's a great idea!
  • EllaB
    Options
    I just wanted to echo something someone said on another post a while back - we so often hear about instances of bad care in the press, but there are so many wonderful support workers etc doing a fantastic job. When my mum went to pick up my brother last weekend, the staff in his home had helped him prepare a home-made Mothers Day gift and card, which brought tears to her eyes. I was so worried about her first Mothers Day, and the staff had already pre-empted my thoughts.

Brightness