I am having real difficulty in getting into work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am having real difficulty in getting into work

zoeshw
zoeshw Scope Member Posts: 14 Courageous
This discussion was created from comments split from: I’m Michelle, and I’m a Pre-Employment Advisor.

Comments

• zoeshw
    zoeshw Scope Member Posts: 14 Courageous

Hi Chell

I am a disabled person I have a hearing and visual impairment and I am hving real difficulty in getting into work. I have interviews and then I am not getting the job also I have Phone interviews were they then say that they don't want me.

Thank you Zoe

• Chell
    Chell Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    ZOESHW, I am so sorry that i have not been on here, several problems from family IT and holiday :( please forgive my lateness in reply. If you are getting interviews thats great it means that your cv and cover letters are good. Which in my opinion is the hardest part. Are you applying for two tick companies, The two ticks scheme is a recognition given by Jobcentre Plus to employers based in Great Britain who have agreed to take action to meet five commitments regarding the employment, retention, training and career development of disabled employees. It is represented by the two ticks disability symbol (displayed right) that participating organisations are authorised to display. If your not then try these companies, you havent said what your looking for though so i am generilising. Council and large corperations are generally more friendly to the diabled work force aswell.
    I would firstly not mention your conditions until you get an interview unless they are to tick companies. As you are giving a way out for employers and cant be sure if they discriminating against you.
    I also looked for companies that support disabled people charities etc and looked at there job boards and scouted what was in my area. As these companies are looking for people with skills but mainly understanding.
    If you are having an interview ask them for feed back, if you want to be really cheeky and i am so i do, i ask the employers for feedback, as you have been turned down for several jobs without a spercific reason and you want to make sure that it is not because of your conditions.
    Lastly go to the interview with as much amunition as possible, so know of what equipment you will need to support you in the role, if you are entitled to Access To Work (ATW). this will stop their fears when dealing with a person with disabilities. Hope this helps.

Brightness