Cerebal palsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cerebal palsy

Donna23
Donna23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2015 in Cerebral palsy
Hi everyone,looking for any advice on CP my 22month old,has just been diagnosed she has high muscle tone in both her lower legs,I'm now awaiting neurology appointments for brain scans,but doctors haven't really gave me any more info.. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Farshideh
    Farshideh Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi
    I was looking on  scope site and I saw your question. in my opinion the sooner you start with neuro paediatric the better it is for child . 
    the neuro paediatric can advise you how to reduce the tone and how to encourage sensory / motor aspect . the assessment is circuital  to check visual processing and his eyes  alignment .
     Farshideh
     Birkdale neuro centre
  • Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Donna, As Farshideh says, it would be helpful to see a neurological paediatrician. You may be already as your daughter has recently been diagnosed. I am sure the doctors will give you more information once they have the result of the scans but you may want to ask about physiotherapy now as the sooner a physio can be involved with CP, the better and it will help your child's muscle tone. The Doctors may subsequently suggest other treatments or therapies as she grows and they have more information.

Scope has a lot of general information about Scope on their website. Try http://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/diagnosed
    or http://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/diagnosis/cerebral-palsy

They also have a free Helpline on 0808 800 3333.

Getting a diagnosis and then getting the appropriate intervention and therapies for your child can take a while. No two people with CP are affected in the same way.
  • geoted
    geoted Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Rocky thanks for the links and helpline. We are in a whirlwind of learning right now and can use all the support we can get.
  • Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    That's fine. It is a very difficult time coming to terms with a diagnosis as well as trying to balance health appointments and just caring for/spending time with your child. I hope you are getting support from your family and any local services that may be involved in your daughter's care.
    Do look at the Scope website and contact their helpline. Scope may also have local workers that can offer you further support and information.

Brightness