Love/Kindness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Love/Kindness

Merl
Merl Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
I'm making just a brief comment to talk about something that concerns me a great deal, and I'm sure you've noticed it too. Kindness does not cost much, but it seems to be so rare today. Did you ever wonder why that situation exists?

Comments

• theghost
    theghost Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I couldn't have put it better myself I like the way you think Merl
  • LolaOlson
    LolaOlson Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I suppose for a lot of people it's about finding out what you want and what makes you feel happy. I think that can be really difficult if you're in a place where you're not able to really do everything that you want or doing what you want is so difficult that it compromises the happiness you would get from it otherwise.

Another way that people sort of go about this would be through faith or a spiritual belief. I feel like personally that's something that I fall back on a bit when times are hard. Being involved in different forms of activism and being a part of different marginalised communities can make life a bit draining. Sometimes it does get to the point where you wonder what the point is. For me, I think about the goals I really want to achieve in life and then I sort of fall back on faith and the feeling that there is a purpose for me.

Maybe I'm being a huge nerd here, but I rarely find in media that depression is really addressed or handled well. But in the episode Vincent and the Doctor, they handled it really well. There's a lot of misconceptions in society about depression and the right way of dealing with it. Or how to look at life in different ways. One of my favourite thing's the Doctor has ever said was:

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

There's always going to be difficult times. I don't think even the most privileged people live existences without any difficult times. I don't know as that I'm an expert in getting anyone through anything. But I know that the things I hold onto when I'm frustrated are: my goals in life, my faith, and sometimes just something small like looking forward to a film coming out or looking forward to finishing a book I'm writing.

Hopefully that helps!
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited May 2015
    Yes I agree holding on to,

Goals - in life are so important however small, they help you have focus and get to where you want.

Faith - However bad things get, faith helps you not give up, as you have a hope

Friends - People in your life that you love being around and make you smile and are there for you no matter what.

• Merl
    Merl Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Thanks for your comments.

There is a website that I would like to share with you. It provides useful information. Please feel free to visit it at www.jw.org.

Take care.

Kind regards

Merl

Brightness