I feel I have no hope of ever gaining real employment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I feel I have no hope of ever gaining real employment

Comments

• gm2849
    gm2849 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Dear sir,

I am almost 40 years old. In 1988 at age 12 I suffered from a severe head injury. This was as a result of a RTA in which I unfortunately lost my only sibling. When I communicate this I also must mention the 5 people in the other vehicle who tragically died. Then 4 years later my father died from alcohol related complications.

Although in the accident I was comatose for 2 weeks it seemed that I was very 'lucky' and no lasting damage occurred. It was a horrible experience to visit my brother for the first time in our local graveyard to say goodbye.

Subsequently there were many behavioral and other problems related to brain injury that made returning to a normal way of life impossible. I tried to work and obtained and lost many jobs in the process.

In 2002 I had what can only be described as a complete mental breakdown. I was involuntarily committed for a period of 3 weeks. Then back to the merry go round. In all this time from 1993 in fact I was addicted to alcohol and drugs, a whole other issue with its related problems but I firmly believe totally connected to my initial trauma and lack of aftercare. I sound resentful but I also have the people of RVH traumatic care to thank for my life.

Also in 2002 I was awarded DLA high care rate and low mobility. These benefits afford me a decent way of life. However the invisible nature of my disability means I am always fearful and never feel secure. I have faced several reviews and now with the Government cuts I am ever more fearful.

I should also explain that there was intervention from my local community brain injury team in 2001. The care continued until some years ago.

In 2003 I took on an Open Uni course and obtained a degree in 2009 which final classification was a 2:1 Open degree (Hons).

All that time I was a practicing alcoholic. Until I abstained with the help of AA in 2010 so now I am just an alcoholic who chooses not to drink. In 2011 I took on a business diploma again with the OU and gained it in 2013.

Sorry for the convoluted background story but I feel I have no hope of ever gaining real employment. I tried to enter a Data Analytics training scheme with pwc recently open to graduates of any discipline. On the application there is a 180 UCAS points requirement unless there are mitigating circumstances. I explained these circumstances and got an email asking for my GCSE and A-level results to progress my application, which suggests my mitigating circumstances were either not acknowledged or they simply want to cut this particular chaff from the wheat early on.

The problem I face is who can I trust? I want to make a contribution and even looked at the Condition Management Program on offer from Job Centre. My own GP was quite negative about that idea and seen it as way to cut people's lifeline benefits without any real tangible results.

I am writing this in the hope of guidance without disclosing who I am as yet. Tomorrow I am considering contacting my local Disabled Employment Advisor but I also do not trust that they will help without the need to meet targets set by the government.

As my Dr described it perhaps I am better to stay stuck.

Please excuse the self pity but I am trying to be determined to change my situation.

Kindest Regards,

Anon
  • RichardLamplough
    RichardLamplough Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I am so sorry to hear of these devastating life events that, understandably, have had a huge impact on everything you do, including your efforts to find work. It's hard for anyone to imagine the struggles you have gone through and continue to go through unless they have experienced something similar; I certainly haven't.

The only advice I can give you is to strive to be happy, and include things in your daily routine that give you a sense of satisfaction and that you enjoy. Paid work might not be feasible right now but, if you haven't considered this already, maybe look into carrying out some voluntary work. If you can find something that matches some of your skills, gifts and talents so much the better.

If your hobbies and interests can include activities that keep you physically fit as well as mentally active then you are giving yourself every chance of making the most of an opportunity that might be just round the corner... sometimes things have a weird knack of falling into place when you least expect them to. Make the most of what your community offers you, but the more you can make of what YOU can offer your community then, I believe, the better chance you have of a bright future.

I wish you the very best in everything you do.

Richard

Brightness