Hi, my name is LULL! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is LULL!

LULL
LULL Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi my name is Lucy I'm 41 ,mother to a 14yr old daughter and have R/R MS. I've been trying to get a mortgage for shared ownership and so far had very bad experience with it all. I've since been excepted onto Mysafehome but upfront payment very high and need help with raising some deposit........

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Lucy,

Welcome to the community. I think we've spoken on the phone before. I hope that you're able to raise the deposit you need for the Mysafehome scheme. Feel free to get in touch anytime if you want to talk more.

All the best
    Debbie
  • LULL
    LULL Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Debbie,
    Thank you for your reply and yes we've spoken on the phone several times. Out of all the advice I've seeked yours was the most accurate and helpful.
    As yet I'm awaiting to hear from Mysafehome regarding accuracy of deposit. HSBC sent me on a right merry dance and it's been a real eye opener to how little option is available to Disabled people wishing to secure a right to a secure. safe home. Something we should all be treated equally for.

I will be in touch when I've had some news. Even if it may be negative I hope this may help anyone else who is or thinking of trying to get onto the property ladder.
    Many thanks for your interest..

Lucy
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Lucy,

You're absolutely right, there are fewer and fewer options available to disabled people in securing a lifelong home. There are also changes to the benefit Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) coming in in 2018. SMI will no longer be paid as a benefit but will instead be offered as a loan. I would advise you to talk to mysafehome about this if you are intending to apply for SMI to help with the interest on the mortgage. From what I have managed to research is that all new applications after 2018 will be considered for a loan. Anyone receiving SMI before this date will not have a backdated loan to worry about but they will need to consider if they wish to continue receiving support by way of a loan. I do not believe that anyone will have to pay back any SMI they have had prior to April 2018, but this is bound to cause some worry.
    I look forward to hearing from you again whether it's negative or positive and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness