transition from school into collage. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

transition from school into collage.

Andrea Robertson
Andrea Robertson Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I was made aware that SEN code of practice has been replaced by a new code of practice how will transition into collage work and should I expect an assessment before my CP son leaves school. With out an assessment and classification U in exams how would his base.line into further education work. Can someone please help me who has experience of the new SEN and share experiences.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey Andrea,

In my experience all LAs have their own way of doing things so it's hard to say what you should expect timings-wise.

The main recent changes to SEN provision came into effect in 2014 - and a lot of the changes were around the implementation of Education, Health & Care Plans (EHCPs) as these will replace SEN statements. One of the main differences between the two is that EHCPs can be in place up to age 25 whereas statements only apply up to 16. Does your son have a statement or an EHCP? If not it may be worth applying for one.

One of the good things about EHCPs is that they are designed to get the education, health and care professionals involved in your son's provision round the same table and working together, to the same plan, with the young person. Something like transition would be a real focus of an EHCP so it's a good way to get the topic tabled for discussion.

Because EHCPs are new there's some help for families and young people during the process - it's being delivered in the form of 'Independent Support' and basically it's someone to ensure the young person's wishes and aspirations are heard and incorporated directly into the EHCP, & to make sure the young person and their family are fully engaged in the process and understand everything. You can find out who is providing this service in your area here: http://www.councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/what-we-do/our-networks/independent-support/find-my-independent-support-provider

I can appreciate this isn't a direct answer to your question but if you don't have an EHCP yet it may be worth exploring.

-Beth x

Brightness