How can I push the school harder? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I push the school harder?

Andrea Robertson
Andrea Robertson Community member Posts: 4 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.

Comments

• Andrea Robertson
    Andrea Robertson Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    My son has CP. He finds working with numbers very hard. At the moment he is at level three in maths. His chronological age is 15 years and 4 months. He has recently learned to tell the time but hasn't any concept how long 15 minutes is.Hes easily lost and clings to me outside when we are going somewhere new. He's not had a psychologist report since he was nine years old. Our school said because he advancing in English he doesn't need one. He's at level four for English. But his reareading score of understanding is lower four. His maths teacher left our school and now the school have doubled the class size and they have one TA. He will receive a U in exams for maths. He. Forgets how to do the eqequation in basic maths. They are being urged by the government to stick to a timetable which left him long ago but still the teacher expect him not to catch up but take something away. I am told he will be doing in class grading but this doesn't allow him any posable forward achievement. He's very good with computers and wishes to be able to go to college to study them but without any maths qualifications he's not going to be able to study computers in collage. This is his final year of school before his transition to college. The school are not concerned about him getting a maths. I don't feel right and accepting their decision feels though I haven't pushed enough for a better outcome. Can advise me on how I can push the school harder or should I accept thatright hhemiplegia might be responsible and not the school. ???
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hi Andrea,
    Your last question is the most important... What is causing your son's difficulties in maths. Is it purely related to CP or does he also have dyscalculia? Your son needs an updated EP assessment in order to answer this question and then the appropriate teaching strategies and provision can be recommended by the EP. I would recommend finding a psychologist with expertise in working with children with CP or dyscalculia (both if you can find someone!) It is also important to have an updated assessment to inform transition planning to college. Does your son have an EHCP? It's great that you're not giving up on wanting the best for your son.
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hi Andrea,
    Your last question is the most important... Is your son's maths difficulty related purely to CP or does he also have dyscalculia? He needs an updated EP assessment in order to answer this question. The EP can then make recommendations for appropriate teaching strategies an provision. An updated assessment will also be important for transition planning for when he moves to college. I suggest you try to find a psychologist with expertise in CP, dyscalculia or, ideally, both. Please remember that it is not the school's decision whether or not your son is assessed. They may not want to prioritise him with their limited EP allocated time but it is the EP who decides who to assess. You can always contact the EP service directly if you want to.
    Does your son have an EHCP?
    It's great that you're not giving up on wanting the best for your son.

Brightness