Awkward situations- your experiences — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awkward situations- your experiences

Options
NikiM
NikiM Community member Posts: 36 Connected
Hi,

I am sure we have all encountered awkward situations with members of the public from time to time. Some that spring to mind with me are the stares that last just a little too long, the talking to my 11 year old as if she were a baby or ignoring her completely or the best one to date, when we met Boris Johnson at a wheelchair appointment when Maria was about 6. She was trying out an electric chair for the first time and they had hooked the power up to four switches for forward, back, left and right which she activated using her hands. Boris was there to promote the work of the local service and they had asked if he could meet Maria and sit in on the assessment. We agreed with some trepidation. Anyway he came in and started talking to Maria about the chair and as he did she hit the 'right turn' switch and kept her hand on it so her chair spun around in a full circle turning her back to him as she did so. We laughed it off thinking it was a mistake. He then started his conversation with her again and she did the same thing! My husband and I were trying to stifle our laughter as the technician turned off Maria's power. Boris then addressed a camera talking about Maria and the service and as the camera panned across to her you could clearly see her desperately hitting the 'right turn' switch.

I guess that was quite awkward for him, although I have always said Maria is a great judge of character!! That's our 'best' story!

I wondered if any of you would be happy to share awkward experiences/ situations you or your child have encountered when out and about?
Scope would like to include a couple in a blog.

It would be great to hear them.

Niki and 'voting with her switch' Maria

Comments

• Moosie
    Moosie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I was asked once in a shop if my 'mongrel' (her words not mine) son would ever grow out of it! That was 16 years ago. I would hope that things have progressed since then. Ps he has Down's Syndrome
  • Moosie
    Moosie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I was asked once in a shop if my mongrel (her words not mine) son would ever grow out of it. I calmly informed her that my son had Down's Syndrome and as it was a genetic condition no he wouldn't. That was 16 years ago and I would hope things have changed.
  • lisajane2
    lisajane2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    My daughter who has autism is really sensitive to smells. Walking along with her and a rather large, tough looking lady started to walk past us.
    "Oh my god, she stinks, its disgusting" said my charming daughter very loudly.
    large, tough lady thankfully didn't stop. It was actually her perfume that was the culprit. Cringe*
  • SuzyQ
    SuzyQ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Casey is 6 has CP and can't walk so uses a wheelchair.
    I could keep you entertained for a long time with our ever growing collection of awkward moments. We seem to spend our time out exasperated by comments made by people.

The one we get over and over again is the, 'Would you like a high chair...?' question, as the helpful waiter indicates to the wheelchair, that we get asked every time we go into a restaurant, as 6 year old Casey looks around for this imaginary baby they are talking about.....

Anyone else get this....?
  • ReflectionsCampaign
    ReflectionsCampaign Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I have many, many experiences that I would like to share with others to raise awareness of societies prejudices towards people with disabilities, if we speak out and are open and honest about our lives and experiences of having disabilities we can start to make the world a positive place. We need to: Educate to integrate. You can find my first YouTube video: Richard Savage. Also my online petition to introduce mandatory disability awareness education in all schools in the UK so that the future generation are more informed, educated and integrate individuals with disabilities rather than segregate. Please see Reflectionscampaign.com I am hoping to work closely with Scope and other interested parties so that we can make the future a brighter place for all. Thank you. Richard Savage.
  • Helen Daly
    Helen Daly Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    My awkward situation is that nobody at Scope seems to have read, or if they have, understood, the implications of Jim Mansell's Raising Our Sights - especially the section on housing, or the paragraphs that refer to people not being able to easily access sessional community based activities because of their health, or that fact that advocacy services don't really have great expertise in this area, or indeed anything else to do with this group - or this report.

Brightness