personal independent payment / tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

personal independent payment / tribunal

Options
Confused
Confused Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
Yesterday ( Thursday ) I went to the tribunal about my personal independent payment on my mobility scooter. I had trouble getting it in the lift so I put my safety at risk and dragged the scooter at a angle to get in. I could not get it into another lift so the judge and two others had to move to a different room. When someone asked about getting a wheelchair to make things easier for me the response was " we've got rid of them " Considering Fox Court must see a lot of disabled people at the tribunal I'm shocked they have got rid of them.

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Confused,

It seems daft doesn't it, a building where disabled people are going to attend for tribunal hearings about disability benefits but no help for people to access the building properly. I wonder what the reasoning was behind the decision to get rid of the wheelchairs? I hope the tribunal went well for you.
  • Confused
    Options
    It didn't go well it was adjourned for another day, they never had all the medical evidence. The good news is the judge has said there must be a wheelchair there this time. Fingers crossed it will get sorted out next time.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Options
    I really do hope so. Would you mind letting me know how it goes next time round? I try to follow as many PIP claims and appeals as I can. Good luck and best wishes :)
  • Confused
    Options
    I will let you know but I'm not confident at all. I don't like the way I'm being treated one bit. When things have happened I find it hard to get over things but when I have I make complaints then get told my complaints are out of time. How can I challenge that rule do you know ?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Options
    Sometimes it's possible to make a late appeal if you can show good cause. It depends on what you're appealing and the reasons why you didn't manage to get a challenge in before the deadline.
    Have you ever sought the help of an advocate to help you with things like this?
  • Confused
    Options
    No I haven't how do I get one?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Options
    A good place to start looking is your local council. They should have details of advocacy services in the area. A Google search 'advocacy service (...your area..) should bring some information up. If you need help with this, let me know.
  • Confused
    Options
    Hi Debbie could you help with getting a advocate.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Options
    Certainly, let me know which part of the country you live in and I'll carry out a search for you.
  • Confused
    Options
    I live in Colindale London. NW9 6FF Thankyou for your help.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Options
    Hi Confused,

I've done some searching and the Barnet Centre for Independent Living has information on their website that Barnet CAB have taken over the information, advice and advocacy services that they used to run. Try contacting the CAB first to see if they can provide some help with the benefits issues. http://barnetcab.org.uk/
    If you want to get in touch with Barnet CIL their web address is http://www.barnetcil.org.uk/index.php?id=1

Other than that I've not found anything suitable in the NW9 area.

Good luck

Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.