Radar key — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Radar key

sammilaw
sammilaw Community member Posts: 4 Listener
when will radar keys be abolished as anyone who has the key can walk in on you no matter which way you turn the handle?

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Most accessible bathrooms that are unlocked via radar keys. Also have a separate lock that is operated from the inside and is designed to stop people being able to walk in on you! I personally find having a radar key a life line to being able to easily find accessible toilet facilities.

Noah
  • sammilaw
    sammilaw Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have tried to use the indoor lock by pulling up the handle but it has never seemed to work, the handle itself is broken usually or even when it is up ppl still get through, a normal lock from the inside would be better in my opinion I don't see why a special lock is needed
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear your experience of Radar facilities hasn't always been a good one - and it has clearly been very awkward and embarrassing for you to have people walking in on you. Singing loudly isn't always an option to make people realise that the bathroom is in use! It's normally down to the individual establishments where the accessible bathrooms are or sometimes local councils if they are public toilets to ensure that they are fully functional and accessible. I would recommend finding out who is responsible for any facility that you believe is not fit for purpose, and writing to them. I'm sure they will value your feed back and will be keen to rectify any issues.

Hope the above is of some help

Kind regards

Noah

Brightness